    Like Camera. Canon's brand name and it's zoom lens attracting me to
    it.

    Could you please help me to choose in between?

    Sarath, Apr 3, 2007

  2. Sarath

    ASAAR Guest

    Not really, because each has advantages that the other doesn't,
    and the S3 IS would be better for some people and the S9000 better
    for others. But I'm not sure why you're comparing these two
    specific cameras, and I don't mean because they are dissimilar. The
    S3 IS is the current model, and it's not much different than the
    slightly older S2 IS which you should be able to get for a
    significantly lower price. On the other hand, the S9000 is Fuji's
    older, discontinued model which was replaced by an improved S9100.
    I'd think that you'd want to decide between either an S3 IS and an
    S9100, or between an S2 IS and an S9000. For what it's worth, I
    have Fuji's older S5100, which resembles the S9000, but is much
    smaller, about the size of the S2 IS, and based on my experience
    with it, if I had to exchange the S5100 for either an S3 IS or the
    S9100, I wouldn't hesitate to get the S9100. But as I said, the S3
    IS would be preferred by some other photographers. No matter what
    I've said or what others say, the only way you could know for sure
    which would be the better camera for *you* would be if you had both
    of them to play with for a month or two, but that's probably
    unlikely to happen, so to some extent you'll have to make a
    not-fully informed choice. My recommendation would be to read as
    many reviews of the S3 IS and the S9100 as possible, not once but
    several times, and if possible because you have a good local camera
    dealer, handle both cameras and take some pictures with both. You
    don't want to make what you think is a good decision only to end up
    with a camera that feels uncomfortable because for your hands, it's
    too big or too small, or the controls of one camera aren't as easy
    to get your fingers on compared to the other camera, or one has a
    menu system that's more difficult to navigate that the other.

    ASAAR, Apr 3, 2007

  3. I don't have the S3IS, but from what I have read it is a very capable
    camera and an excellent choice for 'general use' whatever that is.

    I do have the S9000, and here are my quick comments:
    - it *is* a big camera/lens, very DSLR like, but it handles very well
    and feels 'right' to me
    - the lens is a little soft at the extremes of the zoom range (some
    corner softness at wide angle, slight softness across entire frame at
    300mm), but image quality is generally excellent and the images
    process very well. (see comments in www.imaging -resources.com
    Imatest results for the Fuji)
    - sensor is 'unusual' - huge (18MP!) Raw files (slow to save but I
    only use RAW for critical landscapes), normal 9Mp images are a little
    soft but sharpen very well, roughly equivalent to an 8Mp DSLR (in good
    light!).
    - 'good' high ISO performance. Well, it's better than any other
    similar (non-dslr) camera except the Fuji F20/30, so it will be better
    than the Canon for shooting low light images, especially if your
    subject is moving (that's where IS doesn't help). But a DSLR would be
    *much* better than either!
    - no IS, but that doesn't bother me much - I'm from the old school and
    am used to tripods and careful hand-holding..
    - good AF (better than other prosumers I have owned) - *very* good if
    you put it into high speed mode (restricts focusing range to 2m and
    out)
    - very little shutter lag - pre-focus gives almost instantaneous
    shooting
    - on board flash is usable but weaker than most and takes too long to
    recharge
    - very useful lens range of 28-300 equiv.

    Overall, I'm very happy with the s9000, for what it is. It's the
    camera I take when I don't want to lug too much weight, but still want
    a good lens range and high quality results. It's a little quirky in
    some areas, and you will probably need to experiment with it to get
    the best results.

    I would suggest your choice is mostly about IS or no IS, and the lens
    range - the Canon goes from 36-430 if I recall correctly, so if you
    want to get down to 28mm, you'll need an adapter...

    And if you want good low-light performance and ultra fast focus, go
    DSLR...

    mark.thomas.7, Apr 3, 2007
  4. mark.thomas.7, Apr 3, 2007
  5. Sarath

    Sarath Guest

    Thanks alot for expressing your opinion. Most probably I'll go for a
    S3 IS

    BTW Could you please give me some links to learn about photography?

    Regards,
    Sarath

    Sarath, Apr 3, 2007
  6. Sarath

    Sarath Guest

    Thanks alot for your comments.

    Regards,
    Sarath

    Sarath, Apr 3, 2007
  7. Sarath

    ray Guest

    Before you make a decision, I'd suggest you look at the cameras. I'd also
    suggest you look at a Kodak P series.

    ray, Apr 3, 2007
  8. Sarath

    Signal Guest

    Here's an article I wish I'd read before buying a camera.
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/2dig.htm

    Good luck whatever choice you make.

    Signal, Apr 3, 2007
  9. Sarath

    John Ortt Guest

    The article above is hugely biased towards SLR's which I think is a little
    unfair.

    I personally own both and each have purposes for which the other would not
    be suited.

    In addition to the shirt-pocket P&S cameras the super zooms do have a
    valuable role in the market.

    To buy a digital SLR and an image stabilised lens capable of 400mm zoom
    (35mm equivalent) you are looking at the best part of £1000.

    For the same zoom range from a point and shoot (with image stabilisation) it
    is approximately £250 (a quarter of the price).
    In addition the P&S super zoom is far smaller and lighter.

    This is the reason I bought an S3IS for when my wife and I go backpacking
    instead of taking my Canon 300D SLR.

    Don't get me wrong, I love my SLR but it would be a burden to carry on my
    back for a whole year in conjunction with all the lenses I would need to
    give the equivalent capabilities of the S3IS.

    I hope this is of help and as others have stated there is no substitute for
    playing with the cameras in a shop.

    (If you do use the services of a shop please give them your business
    provided their prices are reasonable, and by reasonable I expect 5% more
    than online)

    John Ortt, Apr 3, 2007
  10. Sarath

    ASAAR Guest

    You're welcome. As for learning about photography, one place to
    start is DPReview's glossary. It won't really teach you about
    photography, but it's a place to go to that will teach you more
    about digital cameras, and understanding their components and how
    they work can only help reduce the potential for problems that can
    make photography more difficult. The glossary doesn't exclusively
    cover digital topics. You'll find many in the Optical section, such
    as "Depth of Field", "Circle of Confusion" and "Focal Length" that
    apply to all cameras, and each topic is relatively short, so you can
    browse the topics whenever you wish and should be able to digest the
    individual topics quickly.

    For learning about photography, a good book might be worth
    considering, but before getting one that might be too basic, I'd
    read some of the numerous articles on websites. These may have much
    more than want or need. :)

    http://luminous-landscape.com/
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/
    http://www.bobatkins.com/
    http://www.digitaljournalist.org/contents.html
    http://www.dimagemaker.com/
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/
    http://www.photo.net/
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/
    http://www.normankoren.com/
    http://www.ronbigelow.com/
    http://www.photozone.de/
    http://www.megapixel.net/html/cover.php
    http://bythom.com/

    While the last link primarily covers Nikon equipment, it has some
    good articles that apply to general photography.

    The occasionally controversial, sometimes opinionated Luminous
    Landscape has many articles and sections for essays, techniques,
    tutorials, columns, an "Understanding Series" and more, covering not
    just photography but printers and printing as well.

    The controversial, opinionated, irreverent Ken Rockwell has many
    interesting things to say about photography and photographic
    equipment that's worth reading, and tends to infuriate similarly
    opinionated photo purists. His "Books" links take you to a "Highly
    Suggested Photography Books and Magazines" page which contains a
    fairly large number of excellent books. These include several
    written by Ansel Adams, famous for his wonderful photographs and the
    Zone System that originated that is a system that can help you to
    understand how to determine the ultimate exposure. This might be
    more than a bit too advanced for most photographers but it's worth
    knowing about. Also included is "123di - The 123 of digital imaging
    Interactive Learning Suite" which was produced by the author of many
    of DPReview's glossary entries and would probably be worth getting
    if you appreciated the glossary and want to delve deeper.

    Bob Atkins has good stuff too, but where ByThom (Thom Hogan) is
    primarily written for Nikon owners, Bob Atkins' website is the
    equivalent for Canon owners.

    I'm not familiar with The Digital Journalist, but it has been
    recommended before, and probably is the place to browse if you have
    any interests in photo journalism.

    I've read some interesting articles on "The Digital Image Maker"
    website, and the author/owner (Wayne J. Cosshall) pops in to this
    newsgroup from time to time to let us know about new articles,
    reviews or tests that he's just put up. His website is worth
    visiting for anyone that shares his interest in infrared
    photography.

    Imaging Resource has some tutorials and photo lessons, but I'm not
    familiar with them. I go there primarily for the camera reviews.

    Other websites that I'm not familiar with but which have been
    praised by others include Photo Net, Fred Miranda's, Norman Koren's,
    Ron Bigelow's and Photozone. These are probably more advanced
    websites, visited by more serious photographers. Photozone has some
    articles on photo technique, but it's primarily of interest to
    gearheads. A late addition, also unfamiliar is Megapixel.Net

    These should provide a good start, although if you are able to get
    even halfway through them you probably won't *need* any of the good
    books mentioned above. <g>

    ASAAR, Apr 3, 2007
  11. Sarath

    ASAAR Guest

    That's odd, since Ken has also been accused of having an unfair
    pro P&S bias based on his infamous $150 P&S vs. $5000 DSLR article.
    I guess that he's an equally opportunity annoyer. :) I think that
    he makes good points in both articles. If you reexamine the
    article, you may not see as much bias. I don't think that he's
    saying that you don't have a good reason to use and appreciate your
    S3 IS. He's complaining more about the $1000 P&S cameras that on
    the whole can't compare with much less expensive DSLRs. It's also a
    bit out of date, since when he wrote it Sony had no DSLRs (2004).

    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/150-vs-5000-dollar-camera.htm

    ASAAR, Apr 3, 2007
  12. Sarath

    Signal Guest

    I'd say Ken lists pros and cons for DSLRs and P&S pretty fairly.
    More expensive, but significantly better results and so much more
    versatile and creative. As you say it depends on your requirements,
    but bodies aren't that dear so if you don't require many lenses not
    that big a difference. A used D70 with kit lens can be had for as
    little as £175.

    Signal, Apr 3, 2007
  13. That's an excellent list, Asaar.

    I would add my recommendation for one that you listed - www.ronbigelow.com

    It's a bit less mainstream/commercial than many of the others, but he
    has covered a lot of topics in an understandable way, with lots of
    good examples. Well worth a browse.

    mark.thomas.7, Apr 4, 2007
  14. Sarath

    John Ortt Guest

    I wouldn't...read the quote below:

    "All of the fixed lens cameras, which include the EVF cameras, regardless of
    cost, are too slow and take too darn long to do anything."

    Not true! While they are far slower the above is highly exagerated.

    Furthermore this exageration of the facts is again evident in the next quote
    below:

    "To make a long article simple, today's 8MP and 10 MP and other fixed lens
    digital cameras have
    electronic viewfinders that look like crummy 15 year old TVs, work so slowly
    they can't focus on
    anything unless it's holding still and generally can be frustrating unless
    your subjects are still. "
    Provided you don't need a super zoom.. (In which case the price for the
    glass goes up cnsidderably).

    As I said, I love my digital SLR and use it 90% of the time, but I think
    this particular article of Kens is highly biased against point-and-shoot
    cameras.

    One thing I will say is that Ken's summary at the very end is very good (and
    he does admit to being opinionated and using generalisations so I'll forgive
    him)

    :)

    John Ortt, Apr 4, 2007
  15. Sarath

    ASAAR Guest

    Thanks. When I decided several years ago to get a more capable
    camera than my Powershot S20 I started saving messages that had
    recommendations for photography websites, and I didn't restrict it
    to "review" websites. With only about a dozen messages in this
    folder it was pretty easy to create the list.

    You can get an idea of what to expect from Ron Bigelow's home
    page, which is simple, elegant. The pictures in his gallery are
    wonderful, but too small for a decent display on screens larger than
    PDA size, so I was surprised to not see anything on his website that
    would allow people to purchase copies of his images, which confirms
    what you said about it being less commercial than other sites. I
    guess his email address will have to do. For those that haven't
    been to www.ronbigelow.com, the articles are interesting, well
    written, and concentrate on the technical, digital darkroom side of
    photography. The articles on "noise" are pretty thorough, and
    despite getting into technical details, are still very clear and
    should be easily understood by most readers.

    ASAAR, Apr 4, 2007
  16. Sarath

    John Turco Guest

    <edited>

    Hello, ASAAR:

    Good list, but, here's an important addition to it:

    ShortCourses <http://www.shortcourses.com>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Apr 14, 2007
  17. Sarath

    ASAAR Guest

    That's a odd website. At first glance it appears that they'd
    provide only little snippets of information, trying to get people to
    pay for more complete books on CD. It appears, though, that the web
    contents are fairly complete and that having the CD only adds some
    multimedia animation. What they do provide on their web site is
    surprisingly complete and well written, with very good pictures and
    illustrations, that can be easily understood . . . umm, ahh . . .
    even by those that don't have a physics or a math degree. :) The
    only reservation I'd have about getting any of their books is that
    they indicate that :
    So if they go out of business and their website disappears, do the
    animations vanish forever?

    ASAAR, Apr 16, 2007
  18. Sarath

    craig16229 Guest

    craig16229, Apr 17, 2007
  19. no brainer here.
    Canon S3 IS uses SD & AA.
    Effective pixels 6.0 million
    Sensor photo detectors 6.2 million
    Sensor size 1/2.5 "
    Sensor type CCD
    ISO rating Auto, 80 ,100, 200, 400, 800
    Zoom wide (W) 36 mm
    Zoom tele (T) 432 mm (12 x)
    Rotatable LCD
    No flash hot shoe

    Fuji S9000:
    CCD Sensor 1/1.6-inch super CCD HR
    Number of total Pixels: 9.24 million pixels
    Number of Effective Pixels 9.0 million pixels
    Optical Zoom 10.7X Wide (28- 300mm)
    ISO: Auto, ISO equivalent to ISO 80/100/200/400/800/1600
    has flash hot shoe
    Memory Type: xD Picture Card , CF Card and MicroDrive Dual Slot.

    Both are beat by the Lumix FZ-50 (10mp).

    Mr.Bolshoyhuy, Apr 18, 2007
  20. Sarath

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, ASAAR:

    I don't know the answer to your question, yet ironically, I'd downloaded
    the entire Shortcourses Web site, early in 2001. That was shortly after
    my first digicam purchase, a Largan "Lmini 350" (350,000 pixels).

    Still own the camera and have the '01 site, on my hard drive, too. From
    my recent glancing of the present ShortCourses, its material is the same
    as it was, then; I can't say how much it's been updated, until further
    study.

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Apr 25, 2007