    Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-F717 Digital Camera

    For a mixture of pretty much everything. Any thoughts on either?
    Advice? Words of wisdom?

    Lilalex, Oct 2, 2003

  2. Definately go with the Sony 717.

    I have in the past preferred Olympus cameras for overall image quality and
    value, but some of the more recent models show a lack of image quality
    compared with past models. I've tried out several of the 700 series models,
    and they are all still "good" cameras, but are not on top of the camera pile
    like they used to be.

    The Sony 717 uses a good 5X Carl Zeiss lens which swivels, and though some
    find it a little awkward to hold at first, the design does allow more
    stability when holding it than the 700 Olys do. Also, you have a threaded
    front to the Sony lens, allowing you to use off-the-shelf filters without
    the need for an adapter (buy a UV filter right away and leave it on to
    protect the lens). The laser assist focusing on the 717 is vastly superior
    to anything else out there on the consumer level camera, and allows you to
    focus in total darkness in most cases.

    Not a hype for Sony - but in the case of the 717 compared to the 700 Olys,
    I'd have to say go for the 717.

    Greg

    DigitalCameraBasics, Oct 2, 2003

  3. Lilalex

    Rich Guest

    you've obviously not handled a 750 then.

    pisses rings round the sony in terms of picture quality, settings, zoom (10x
    optical as opposed to 5x Optical)

    I had a 700uz and the 750 is streets if not cities ahead of it.

    www.digitalmood.co.uk

    Don't just take my word for it

    PCWorld.com ranks the C-750uz the #1 digital camera in the $500 and over
    category.
    look:
    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,112038,00.asp

    Rich, Oct 2, 2003
  4. I have handled a 750.

    Didn't say the image quality was "bad" in any part of my post. I did say
    the 750's images were "good", but thought the 717 was just a bit better.
    Just pointed out things such as the laser assist focusing being much better
    on the 717, and in my opinion, the shape of it making it a little more
    stable to hold, the ability to use filters without an adapter, etc.

    Greg

    DigitalCameraBasics, Oct 3, 2003
  5. Lilalex

    Q. Lu Guest

    700 series is lightyears BEHIND F717 in term of picture quality. The 10x is
    a good and bad thing. It brings convenience but lowers the quality.
    When PCworld ranks camera, price is a big factor. If it is not because of
    its price, 750 won't even be included in that list. "cheap" is its major
    strength. If your budget is tight, then it is a good choice. If someone asks
    me which one I want as a gift, I will choose F717 in a heart beat.

    Q. Lu, Oct 3, 2003
  6. I have to amplify your comment.

    I'm a happy owner of a C-750 but I'll have to admit that being someone
    whose been doing 35mm photography for around 25 years now and has
    gotten used to holding a camera a certain way, I had to go out and buy
    the extension tube to be able to hold it comfortably and properly.
    (besides, you have to use a UV filter -- old habits die real hard)

    It's probably best to weigh the features of each, using one of the
    decent web-review sites and get whatever works best.

    --Peter

    Peter Karwowski, Oct 3, 2003
  7. Lilalex

    BuGzY Guest

    717 hands down. Ive handled both. but there really isnt a contest here IMHO.
    Its 717 all the way
    BuGzY

    BuGzY, Oct 6, 2003
  8. Lilalex

    Lilalex Guest

    I guess I'm agreening with Bugzy, as I decided on the DSC-F717. Now
    to wade through all the bait and switch ads on the internet...

    Thanks, ya'all!

    Lilalex, Oct 9, 2003
  9. Lilalex

    Lilalex Guest