    Jimmy Dean Guest

    clues?

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Sep 8, 2003

  2. Jimmy Dean

    Computer Guy Guest

    Hello,
    CHKDSK does not automatically run as Scandisk did in earlier versions of
    windows.
    Go to a command prompt, Type chkdsk /F
    When you hit enter it will either run it or prompt you to run at next boot.
    Reboot
    DennisC

    Computer Guy, Sep 8, 2003

  3. Jimmy Dean

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    Thanks.
    That's interesting, though it did..
    When I do run CHKDSK /f and it does run at next boot, it seems to
    destabilise my system eg. running cmd.exe (which I do regularly)
    causes the system to lock up. Norton's Disk Doctor 2003 doesn't report
    any errors, even tho CHKDSK does.

    cheers
    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Sep 9, 2003
  4. Jimmy Dean

    Computer Guy Guest

    Hello,
    CHKDSK /F will cause the system to check the system disk for errors, the /F
    switch means to fix
    any and all errors it finds automatically and without prompting you.
    You need not run this utility very often. I only run it on some of my
    clients
    machines and once on one of my own. I had a client whose complaint was
    Windows 2000 failed to
    boot, I ran chkdsk /f and bigger than life it fixed the problems without the
    necessity of going
    through the repair process. It is a valuable tool to have in your arsenal.
    I also like Symantec products, however I personally like to use the native
    tools in Windows.
    The fact that chkdsk found problems and Symantec did not suggests to me it
    does not run
    a very thorough test.
    DennisC

    Computer Guy, Sep 9, 2003