    causing this? This is the same computer that had boot problems
    (freezing) last week and I had to do several hard shutdowns. Thanks to
    all who helped me then. Any help with this new problem appreciated.

    Fourdogs, Dec 11, 2004

  2. Fourdogs

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | Every time I boot the computer it wants to run ckeckdisk on my J drive.
    | This seagate 120 gig drive is used only for storage of jpg, avi, and mpg
    | files. If I let it run it never finds any problem. What could be
    | causing this? This is the same computer that had boot problems
    | (freezing) last week and I had to do several hard shutdowns. Thanks to
    | all who helped me then. Any help with this new problem appreciated.
    | --

    Hey, like, what's your OS, dude?

    Toolman Tim, Dec 11, 2004

  3. Fourdogs

    Plato Guest

    One has to guesstomate.

    Plato, Dec 11, 2004
  4. Fourdogs

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Dec 11, 2004
  5. Fourdogs

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | Toolman Tim wrote:
    | >
    | > Hey, like, what's your OS, dude?
    |
    | One has to guesstomate.

    I did enough of that at work last week <g>. Best guess is we have
    gremlins...or maybe evil gnomes...in the CAT5 infrastructure...

    Toolman Tim, Dec 11, 2004
  6. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sat,
    My bet is the goofus has it set to automatically run checkdisk at
    every boot, so he has to be using W2K or XP.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Dec 11, 2004
  7. Fourdogs

    Fourdogs Guest

    Sorry. Win XP Pro.
    --

    regards,
    4D

    American Birding Association <http://www.americanbirding.org>
    Georgia Ornithological Society <http://www.gos.org/index.html>
    Cats Indoors! <http://www.abcbirds.org/cats/catsindoors.htm>

    Fourdogs, Dec 12, 2004
  8. Fourdogs

    Fourdogs Guest

    This "goofus" did not set it to run it at *any* boot, asshole. It
    started after a crash.

    Fourdogs, Dec 12, 2004
  9. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Sat,
    You're the asshat who crashed their system (failing to note that and
    the OS in the question) and now it runs checkdisk. Did you even check
    to see? Do you know what make of hard drive you're PC is using and did
    you download the manufacturer's diagnostic progam to check to see if
    the hard drive is ready to fail? Bet not,. d00fus.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Dec 12, 2004
  10. Fourdogs

    Noel Paton Guest

    Noel Paton, Dec 12, 2004
  11. Fourdogs

    Fourdogs Guest

    --
    Hi Noel. Yes, I have let it complete several times and it finds no
    problems. Still, it runs again at next boot. It started after several

    Win XP Pro
    P4 3.4 GHZ HT processor
    1024 MB ram

    regards,
    4D

    Fourdogs, Dec 12, 2004
  12. Fourdogs

    Noel Paton Guest

    Noel Paton, Dec 12, 2004
  13. Fourdogs

    Fourdogs Guest

    This is one of four internal HDs. It is a seagate 120 GB that I have
    been storing pics and movies on for approx four months. It is not a
    system drive, storage only. I have already duplicated it to a maxtor
    120 GB external drive. Would I still need a boot disk? I've been
    thinking about reformatting it and copy the files back from the external
    drive. Does that sound like a plan? I have also run all of the
    diagnostics from Norton system works and it comes up o.k. I've never
    run into a problem like this before. Thank you for your reply.

    Fourdogs, Dec 13, 2004
  14. Fourdogs

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | Noel Paton wrote:
    | >
    | > I'd suspect hardware problems, then - most likely your HD!
    | > BACK UP YOUR DATA!!
    | > then download the disk test utility from the manufacturer's website, and
    | > create the boot disk from it - use that to boot the system and test the
    | > drive. See what it says.
    | >
    | > --
    | > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    | >
    | > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    | > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    | > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    | >
    | > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to
    NG's

    NG's

    | > > --
    | > > Hi Noel. Yes, I have let it complete several times and it finds no
    | > > problems. Still, it runs again at next boot. It started after
    several
    | > > computer lock-ups (freezes) and I had to power off to get unfrozen.
    | > > Thanks for answering.
    | > >
    | > > Win XP Pro
    | > > P4 3.4 GHZ HT processor
    | > > 1024 MB ram
    | > >
    | > > regards,
    | > > 4D
    |
    | This is one of four internal HDs. It is a seagate 120 GB that I have
    | been storing pics and movies on for approx four months. It is not a
    | system drive, storage only. I have already duplicated it to a maxtor
    | 120 GB external drive. Would I still need a boot disk? I've been
    | thinking about reformatting it and copy the files back from the external
    | drive. Does that sound like a plan? I have also run all of the
    | diagnostics from Norton system works and it comes up o.k. I've never
    | run into a problem like this before. Thank you for your reply.

    Test the drive first! Get the program from Seagate:
    http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/
    They have an online test. I've never used it, so I don't know exactly how
    effective it is. I've always downloaded the stand-alone software that
    creates a bootable floppy disk set, and run the tools from that. Seems to me
    that if Windows is running, and the system is connected to the Internet,
    it's gonna take a whole lot longer to run the tests than if the computer is
    doing only one thing.

    Toolman Tim, Dec 13, 2004
  15. Fourdogs

    Noel Paton Guest

    Which drive is the scandisk barfing on? - the slave?? or the System Drive?
    (sorry - but my news doesn't go back as far as the beginning of the thread)
    If the slave, then you should be able to boot to Windows and run Scandisk
    within Windows, then run it again in thorough mode - and read the report
    afterwards to see what it's done!
    I'd ASSumed that we were talking about a single-drive system here.
    If your OS is ME or Win 98SE, it's possible that there's some program that's
    still writing to the drive at shutdown, and that's why the scandisk is being
    activated at next boot - try extending the time to shutdown a little....
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=273017

    Noel Paton, Dec 13, 2004
  16. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Mon,
    If you read the post, you'd notice he said "checkdisk" which is only
    used with NT systems.

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Dec 13, 2004
  17. Fourdogs

    Fourdogs Guest

    Thanks to all. Problem solved. After running chkdsk several times with
    no results, I ran disk doctor from Norton system works pro with the "fix
    errors" and "enable free space testing" options checked. After three
    subsequent boots, it has not tried to run chkdsk again. Thanks again for
    your suggestions.
    --

    regards,
    4D (With fingers