Cheapish fibre <-> copper ethernet media converters?

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Sam, Jun 26, 2008.

  1. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Does anyone have any recommendations for cheapish fibre(or fiber) media
    converters and where one could buy a pair? They only have to bridge
    100Mbit over about 25 meters between houses along a wall, so perhaps no
    ducting (only internal-external multimode?) will be necessary.

    If anyone has done something similar please let me know - I'm new to
    fibre. I know that ethernet would initially be a lot cheaper, but I'm
    concerned about lightning and ground voltage differences. It seems quite
    hard to find decent kit (ideally with link-pass-through) which isn't
    expensive. The stuff on eBay (Allied-Telesyn) and D-Link ones seem
    expensive, a bit "consumerish" and don't have many reviews.

    With regards to wifi, 54G Wifi is too slow and unreliable - I've tried
    it with a pair of WRT54Gs with DD-WRT - and 11n hardware gets quite bad
    reviews.

    Thanks.

    Sam, Jun 26, 2008