    geographical number when you sign up and you don't have to spend
    anything at all. Have I got this right, will I really get a free
    incoming number with Sipgate?

    usenet, Jan 20, 2006

  2. usenet

    hairydog Guest

    Yes, but if you want to make outgoing calls to POTS numbers, you will
    have to pay call charges.

    hairydog, Jan 20, 2006

  3. usenet

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Which are reasonable enough, considering there is no ongoing monthly
    charge.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jan 20, 2006
  4. usenet

    Brian A Guest

    Yes is the short answer. However, would you have cheapness as your
    main criteria if you were fitting some tyres to your car? Do I hear -
    "Ah well they would have to be safe!"?
    Why not search on google groups and see what people think of Sipgate
    and not just take notice of replies to this posting.
    Sipgate does have some advantages over other operators, but you would
    be best to form your own opinion, on reliability, based on a google
    groups search.
    The voicemail on Sipgate is basic, as is the one on voip.co.uk. On
    balance, I think that the Sipgate one is better because the one on
    voip.co.uk deletes messages as soon as they have been heard - no good
    if you want to note down a telephone number etc.
    For a good voicemail go for voipfone.co.uk. They are quite reliable
    too but do charge for a geographic number.

    Summary (my opinion based on my personal experience):
    1. voip.co.uk - Reliable. The best UK tariff. Currently only basic
    voicemail. £2/month or £20/year. One off charge fof £2 for additional
    numbers.
    2. Sipgate - Not so reliable. Basic but adequate voicemail. Free
    number.
    3. voipfone.co.uk - Reliable. Monthly charges. Good, polished,
    voicemail. Other good facilities available.

    Personally I'd go for voip.co.uk and you'll get a good tariff thrown
    in as well. Until they get round to improve on the voicemail, if
    ever, you could use an answering machine.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Jan 20, 2006
  5. usenet

    usenet Guest

    That's generally true with all the VOIP providers isn't it? I know
    there are some offering free calls of up to a minute but that's
    hardly worth the hassle really.

    usenet, Jan 20, 2006
  6. usenet

    David Floyd Guest

    For this additional number, is it on the same account/registration? And
    if so how do you know which number has been called.

    If not then I assume it is a separate registration, in which case an ATA
    will be required than can deal with more than one registration for
    incoming calls.

    Anyone use this facility on voip.co.uk ?

    David

    David Floyd, Jan 20, 2006
  7. usenet

    David Floyd Guest

    SIPDiscount has unlimited free calls if you deposit 5Euro

    David Floyd, Jan 20, 2006
  8. usenet

    usenet Guest

    But safety isn't a criteriON in this case, it's not dangerous for me
    (or anyone else) if it doesn't work, it's just a (very) minor
    inconvenience.
    Yes, I have been pottering around the newsgroups and looking on
    Google, the question here was just another string to my bow.

    Voicemail really isn't an issue for our use of this number.

    Thanks for the information/opinions.

    usenet, Jan 20, 2006
  9. usenet

    Dexter Guest

    Until such time has the service goes down or they buzz off for a
    holiday and leave the service to look after itself for long weekends
    which used to happen quite often at one time .

    Dexter, Jan 20, 2006
  10. usenet

    Bill Taylor Guest

    You can have more than one number per account.

    I have the 2 port ATA, and the user account page shows both ports of
    the ATA. You can assign a number to each port separately, presumably
    you could use more than one ATA and assign the numbers in a similar
    way.

    If ny account would accept incoming calls I would try it, but there
    doesn't seem much point at the moment.

    Bill

    Bill Taylor, Jan 20, 2006
  11. usenet

    Tim Bray Guest

    Safety might be a consideration. For example, if your partner broke
    down and needed to get in touch with you, but your voip provider was
    down ....

    Or, if you publish your number on your business cards and you don't
    receive business calls because the provider is down.

    Tim

    Tim Bray, Jan 20, 2006
  12. usenet

    Dexter Guest

    But would you consider it a VERY minor inconvenience if you wanted to
    get in touch with a family member to tell them another member of your
    family was in hospital dying or had died . A phone service needs to be
    100% reliable and Sipgate is nowhere near this figure more like 10%.

    Dexter, Jan 20, 2006
  13. usenet

    Dexter Guest

    Voipcheap charge nothing for calls to many countries and up to now I
    have found them to be very reliable .

    Dexter, Jan 20, 2006
  14. usenet

    usenet Guest

    We have two POTS phone lines, both have normal phones on them. If
    they're not working then it's unlikely that the VOIP is going to work.

    Hardly a *safety* issue! :) .... and our business number is one of
    the two POTS numbers.

    usenet, Jan 20, 2006
  15. usenet

    David Floyd Guest

    Do I gather from this then that each number has a separate SIP
    registration? If so it wont work for me on a SPA3000.

    David

    David Floyd, Jan 20, 2006
  16. usenet

    usenet Guest

    As I said elsewhere we have two POTS lines which the VOIP lines are
    carried on (not surprisingly), there are phones on the POTS lines.

    usenet, Jan 20, 2006
  17. usenet

    usenet Guest

    No phone service is 100% reliable.

    usenet, Jan 20, 2006
  18. usenet

    David Floyd Guest

    Just like Dexter's comments then.

    David Floyd, Jan 20, 2006
  19. usenet

    Ivor Jones Guest

    It's my NY resolution not to reply to him.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Jan 20, 2006
  20. usenet

    Dexter Guest

    Agreed that is why I have three voip lines from three different
    providers none of which have been any problem so far I got rid of my
    voipfone account because it went down three times in close succession.
    But I have never known a service go down at 6pm on a Friday night and
    not come live again until the following Monday morning and then go
    down again for a day and half the following weekend has Sipgate did.
    Sipgate will never be forgiven by me for that little episode
    especially has it turned out they had all gone off on a boozing
    weekend under the pretext of attending some convention or other .

    Dexter, Jan 20, 2006