Cheap t37 fax machine (Fax over IP)

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Greg Alexander, Jun 14, 2005.

  1. Hi,
    I'm looking for a cheap t.37 fax machine. I don't care if it has a
    regular phone port at all. In this case, I want to have a fax that
    looks and feels like a regular fax, but uses the internet. So a user
    would put in a phone number and click send.

    I know there are machines for > $1500 that do this (and they are
    mid-high throughput machines which also offer regular faxing, t.38,
    etc). We do far less faxing.

    While I am happy _personally_ to use more complicated means, I want to
    dump the older fax machine in the office entirely and the only way to
    do that is to replace it with something that works identically. I know
    that in the background the fax machine will scan the fax, convert it to
    a TIFF, attach it to an email, and forward it to a fax gateway which
    will fax it to the final destination.

    Really the only advantage to this is the removal of a phone line. I'm
    only considering this as we need to get a new low-end fax machine
    anyway and this would seem to be a more elegant solution. I realise
    other advantages might be faxing straight to client email addresses,
    and storing email-style copies of all faxes sent.

    What are the least expensive t.37 fax machines? anyone know?

    Thanks,
    Greg
    ps. I'm coming to the conclusion that maybe i should look at a cheap
    t38 machine for FoIP? T.37 seems more elegant but less popular.

    Greg Alexander, Jun 14, 2005

  2. Greg Alexander

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    The cheapest way is probably to throw Hylafax on an old PC on your network
    somewhere, and have your phone system send all the calls from the fax
    machine to that.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Jun 14, 2005

  3. Greg Alexander

    galexand Guest

    What, actually have my fax machine dial the old PC, transmit the fax,
    then have the PC forward it to an email-fax gateway, which converts it
    to a regular fax and sends? Well... I guess it probably is inexpensive,
    a little cumbersome though!

    I really can't understand why no-one has taken a very simple fax (with
    a couple of megs memory), removed the phone port, removed the printer,
    and added an ethernet port.

    I think my only option is to get staff using email-to-fax, and then add
    scan-to-email.
    Greg
    ps. Machines I found include:
    Okifax 5680 - A$1600