Cheap security camera needed...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Daniel, Apr 4, 2005.

  1. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    I need a cheap security camera to catch someone vandalizing my property.
    I'd rather not invest allot as I hopefully won't need it for long, though
    I'm sure the cost will be less than the repair costs may end up being. I'd
    need something with relatively decent resolution, can be well hidden,
    mounted outside (so needs to be waterproof or put in a weatherproof
    enclosure), though at the same time, preferably be wireless so I can
    transmit the signal into a locked interior room (connected to one of my ATI
    All-in-Wonder Radeons). It would be mounted outside of a mobile home which
    has metal siding & the structure is grounded (so this MAY cause a problem
    with wireless transmission). I do have a satellite dish outside as well so
    I CAN use a diplexer to run the signal inside that way if needed (if this
    thing outputs on a coax cable connection). Sound isn't needed, only video,
    and video doesn't have to be great quality, just enough to see someone well
    enough for identification from 30-40 feet (license plate possibly as well).
    I've seen those "X10" cameras advertised (remember the ones that had that
    annoying "pop-under" ad on Hotmail's login page or was it MSN.com a few
    years back?), but I'm not sure as to the quality & this also appears to be
    somewhat of a shady business in their false advertising & product quality
    issues (last time I'd checked).

    Any good recommendations (preferably from personal experience)?

    Daniel, Apr 4, 2005

  2. Daniel

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, Apr 4, 2005

  3. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Thanks for the link, but I'm a bit suspicious so far. Is this someone
    you've had experience with?
    I'm trying to research them now....I'm at this point I don't like the fact
    that they want your money but won't say how much (until you agree to pay).
    They wont give the exact name of the company they are (you have to WhoIs on
    them to find that). They are from California which without fail every year
    is among the top according to the FTC in fraud (& so far they sound like
    they're unwilling to let people know who they are). I can't find record
    with them with the BBB (I'm finding a possible match, but slightly modified
    name & different address....and having problems pulling up that info too,
    keep trying to be redirected to a page that times out).
    Looks like a nice product or at least the idea....but also looks like it's
    being sold by a group of scammers ready to commit fraud against anyone they
    possibly can & then blame the consumer for letting them do it.

    Daniel, Apr 4, 2005