Cheap low-power box for Asterisk?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Theo Markettos, May 16, 2010.

  1. I've been wondering about getting a low-power machine to run Asterisk and
    similar services on, so I can run it 24x7. Someone tipped me off on another
    newsgroup that there's a nice new Atom-powered machine for 50 quid including
    touchscreen.

    It's called the O2 Joggler:
    http://shop.o2.co.uk/joggler

    This is intended as a rather-poorly executed family calendar device
    (pretending to be a mains powered 7" iPhone but with terrible applications),
    but it so happens that it's pretty much a standard PC (main thing is it's
    missing a BIOS so needs some fiddling to boot Linux, and can't do Windows or
    Mac OS yet). Spec (from
    http://www.jogglerwiki.info/index.php?title=Hardware ):

    CPU: 1.3GHz Intel Z520 Single-Core, Hyper-threaded, Atom CPU
    Chipset: Intel US15W (400/533MHz FSB)
    Graphics: Intel GMA500 (with hardware acceleration for H.264, MPEG2, MPEG4,
    VC1, WMV9)
    Storage:
    * 512MB RAM (NOT user upgradable - not easily anyway)
    * 1GB internal filesystems (soldered, non removable)
    * 1MB EFI bootloader and nonvolatile parameters (socketed)

    Network Features:
    * Wired Gigabit Ethernet. Realtek RTL8111C
    * WiFi B/G/N based on the Ralink RT2870 chipset (connected to the
    internal USB port).

    Audio: IDT STAC9202X5 Audio with 2 speakers and a 3.5mm headphone jack

    USB (High Speed USB 2.0 Ports):
    * 1 x external.
    * 1 x internal (+2 with soldering).

    Power: 5v DC, 5-7W in operation
    Screen: 7in Sharp LQ070Y3LG4A 800x480 LCD, 16m colour (24-bit), LED backlit,
    capacitative touch-screen
    Size: 180 x 130 x 115mm
    Weight: Approx 650g

    So, how does this sound for an Asterisk box? Obviously there's no FXO/FXS
    ports, but I don't need those and could perhaps use a USB 'Skype phone
    adaptor' if I needed. Would the CPU and RAM be sufficient? I'm probably
    not going to be carrying more than one or two calls at a time so load won't
    be huge. Is there anything else I should watch for?

    Thanks
    Theo

    (and if anyone feels like using this tip off to get one, feel free :)

    Theo Markettos, May 16, 2010

  2. It's grossly overpowered compared to some of my commercial offerings.
    (500MHz AMD Geode - benchmarks to 80 concurrent calls)

    So if you can get it to compile and go you really shouldn't have any
    performance issues with it.

    Not sure threy're still 50 quid though - back up to 95 last time I
    looked...

    You might also want to look at Sheeva plug devices.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, May 16, 2010

  3. Theo Markettos

    Graham. Guest

    It was "reviewed" on Woman's Hour last year, (if you can review something without
    saying what it's called or where it's obtained from).

    Used by middle-class women to get their kids to music lessons on time IIRC.

    Graham., May 16, 2010
  4. Ah yes - Might get one now then :)

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, May 17, 2010
  5. I already do (well, it's Debian rather than DD-WRT). But the 233MHz MIPS
    processor with 32MB RAM (and swap/storage on USB flash) can't cope with any
    kind of transcoding. And since it's also the router, if I break anything I
    end up killing the network for everybody.

    Plus there aren't too many decently-specced routers with USB out there for
    50 quid.

    I agree, though, that lack of I/O on the Joggler is a bit annoying for
    router purposes... probably means hanging off some USB flash, plus perhaps
    a USB-network adaptor and an ethernet switch.

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, May 17, 2010
  6. They have Ethernet and Wi-Fi on-board...

    With some clever ethernet aliasing you can use it as a one-armed router...

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, May 17, 2010