    anyone recommend a cheap digital camera that I could mont on a tri-pod
    to scan a page?

    Thanks in advance.

    blackhead, Jul 27, 2007

  2. blackhead

    AAvK Guest

    $300.00 online too much? Because I recommend the Fuji s6000fd which has a text
    mode of exposure. Super camera, too. Other than that, any cheapest Fuji or Olympus
    P/S from your local large drug store should do the trick perfectly fine... $130?

    Or, just weight down the book on your scanner!

    AAvK

    AAvK, Jul 28, 2007

  3. blackhead

    Bob Williams Guest

    Almost any camera will do the job.
    Keeping the page flat and lighting the page properly will be your major
    challenges.
    Not difficult but you will have to pay attention to these parameters.
    Most cameras have a custom White Balance setting to tell the camera what
    "WHITE" looks like under your particular lighting conditions.
    RTFM for details on how to set White Balance for your camera.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Jul 28, 2007
  4. blackhead

    Jonathan Guest

    Google book scanning.

    Jonathan, Jul 28, 2007
  5. blackhead

    Dartagnon Guest

    Check these news groups. Your book was probably already scanned and uploaded for
    you. If not, requests are quickly honored if someone has it.

    alt.binaries.e-book (books posted today: 4,978)
    alt.binaries.e-book..fantasy (books posted today: 351)
    alt.binaries.e-book.flood (books posted today: 14,144)
    alt.binaries.e-book.genealogy (books posted today: 10,831)
    alt.binaries.e-book.german (books posted today: 80,231)
    alt.binaries.e-book.mathmad
    alt.binaries.e-book.msreader
    alt.binaries.e-book.palm
    alt.binaries.e-book.pl
    alt.binaries.e-book.romance
    alt.binaries.e-book.rpg
    alt.binaries.e-book.technical (books posted today: 31,650, some amazing books)
    alt.binaries.e-book.textbooks
    alt.binaries.e-books
    alt.binaries.e-books.flood
    alt.binaries.e-books.german (books posted today: 80,947)
    alt.binaries.e-books.technical

    There are also the alt.binaries.mp3.audiobooks (61,269 posts today) and
    alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.audiobooks (20,261 posts today) hierarchies, for those
    of you who need books for the blind and differently-abled.

    These groups are the international public-library for over a decade now, before
    the CEOs of publishing houses use their greed and lobbying leverage to have all
    libraries and sharing of books made illegal. Which is exactly what they are
    trying to accomplish. "Fahrenheit 451" is alive and well in your capitalist
    society driven by greed and desire for power.

    Get them while you can. Be sure to archive them to CDs and DVDs for future
    generations which will not have access to any of them if the publishers have
    anything to say about it. Check these groups regularly as there is about a
    1-month turnover time for new books, depending on the retention time of your
    news server.

    Note: do not upload to these news groups unless you know what you are doing.
    Leave uploading to those that know how to circumvent being traced by anyone
    (using proxy-train methods), people who would love nothing better than to get
    everyone's money any way they can. Downloading them however is perfectly safe.
    There's not one thing that anyone can do about that. Cry as they might to the
    contrary they're just spitting into the wind, and they know it.

    Dartagnon, Jul 28, 2007
  6. blackhead

    Dave Cohen Guest

    I have a visioneer one touch with an adjustable cover. This does a
    pretty good job of adjusting. Certain books are difficult, pressing down
    on the book helps.
    I'm having trouble believing a camera will overcome this problem any
    better than the scanner.
    You can get hand held scanners either as an accessory to a flatbed or
    stand alone. I had a cheap one of these in the early days and it would
    do the job. You should be able to find something wide enough to scan the
    whole page.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jul 28, 2007
  7. Dave wrote on Sat, 28 Jul 2007 15:50:47 GMT:

    DC> blackhead wrote:
    ??>> Hi.
    ??>>
    ??>> I have a flatbed scanner which has problems scanning a
    ??>> page in a book because the page at the binding can never
    ??>> be made to lie flat. So can anyone recommend a cheap
    ??>> digital camera that I could mont on a tri-pod to scan a
    ??>> page?
    ??>>
    ??>> Thanks in advance.
    ??>>
    I don't have one but I have seen a number of such things. Once
    in CompUSA, I think. Here's a URL to start you going:-
    http://www.planon.com/

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious alterations:
    not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

    James Silverton, Jul 28, 2007
  8. James wrote to Dave Cohen on Sat, 28 Jul 2007 16:03:34 GMT:

    DC>> blackhead wrote:
    ??>>> Hi.
    ??>>>
    ??>>> I have a flatbed scanner which has problems scanning a
    ??>>> page in a book because the page at the binding can never
    ??>>> be made to lie flat. So can anyone recommend a cheap
    ??>>> digital camera that I could mont on a tri-pod to scan a
    ??>>> page?
    ??>>>
    ??>>> Thanks in advance.
    ??>>>
    JS> I don't have one but I have seen a number of such things.
    JS> Once in CompUSA, I think. Here's a URL to start you going:-
    JS> http://www.planon.com/

    I had forgotten that alt.com.periphs.scanners was a reasonably
    active group. You might try there too.

    James Silverton, Jul 28, 2007