Charging the Sony CyberShot DSC-P200

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ziphem, Feb 11, 2005.

  1. ziphem

    ziphem Guest

    I'm looking into getting a Sony CyberShot DSC-P200 Digital Camera, and
    I have a few questions about it.

    The biggest concern I have is charging. It seems that I can charge the
    battery by just plugging in the camera without having to remove the
    battery to charge it? If this is the case, will the charger convert
    electric current? Meaning, if I go to Europe (if I manage to actually
    get there this year), I can just bring a plug adapter and don't have to
    bring a current conversion unit?

    My second question is about memory sticks. About how big (MB) is each
    picture? I'm trying to get an idea of how big a memory stick I should
    buy. Also, is there a limit to how long you can take a video - is
    there that 1 minute limit, or is it just constrained by the size of the
    memory stick?

    Finally, how about the battery life? Would you recommend buying a
    second battery, or if I were to charge the battery every day, is one
    battery enough to last throughout the day? I know of course that
    depends on the usage, but let's say just average use? Does this camera
    deliver in this respect or do you think it falls a bit short?

    Thanks very much!!!

    ziphem, Feb 11, 2005

  2. ziphem

    Rudy Benner Guest

    Is any of this covered in the owners manual?

    Rudy Benner, Feb 11, 2005

  3. --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitri?s
    dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
    I have no idea, mine (Kodak CX 7300)uses ordinary AA cells and you can buy
    the charger and cell combo you like.You can go to a shp and ask about
    details, as I did before buying mine.
    I bought 128 MB for 33 euro which can hold up to 160 pictures in best
    quality in 3.2 MP.
    In mine, the video limit is constrained by the memory card, and is 7 mins
    for 128 MB (silent).I strongly suggest you get a camcorder for good video.
    The known as "memory effect" prevents partial discharged batteries being
    fully charged when charged.Always have a spare battery, just in case.Nicd
    batteries are very cheap;I got 4 cells with charger for just 11 euro.

    Dimitrios Tzortzakakis, Feb 11, 2005
  4. ziphem

    Lola MacLean Guest

    I have read that the P200 is very little changed aside from slightly larger
    LCD screen so most of the following would apply.

    On my DSC P150 (According to the User's Manual) I can get 67 "Fine" grade 7
    Megapixel images or 132 "Standard" grade images on a 256 MB Memory Stick. If
    you take 5 Megapixel pictures it's 97 and 132.

    The batteries are said not to be subject to the "Memory Effect". I did
    purchase a second battery pack, but regret it now as suspect I won't really
    need it. (I have heard that the battery packs have a shelf life of only
    about 2 years so mine will likely "die of old age" rather than use.) For 7
    Megapixel Images (while using the LCD screen) they estimate 320 images, or
    approximately 160 minutes on a full charge. It takes about 200 minutes to
    fully charge the battery. The manual states you can use the supplied AC
    Adaptor in any country within 100V to 240V AC, 50/60 Hz.

    The movies are restricted by the Memory Stick size, and can only be shot
    using a Memory Stick Pro. I haven't tried taking any.

    There is a good review on the P150 (which is very similar to the P200) that
    should answer many of your questions:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/p150.html

    Lola MacLean
    Remove the obvious to e-mail

    Lola MacLean, Feb 15, 2005
  5. ziphem

    Stewy Guest

    The in-camera charger Sony usually supplies is multi-voltage and you
    should have no problems when traveling. You need to get a travel adapter
    as europe operates on 220/240 AC. However, often the charger supplied is
    big and bulky and if you need an external charger then Sony will sell
    you one of their expensive accessories.
    Some cameras have a limited capacity for video. If you're going to be
    recording a lot of video a digital still camera is not the thing to use
    - they swallow huge amounts of memory - hire yourself a proper digital
    video camera. Sony's memory stick development seems to be very
    short-sighted - at the last count there were 4 different types of memory
    stick and some cameras accept one but not the other!
    Yes. You will need a 2nd battery. Sony's InfoLithium technology can
    predict battery condition down to 1 minute, however you'll be
    re-charging the battery everyday as you'll only get 120 minutes of use
    for each battery. These spare batteries are also very expensive.

    What you need to consider when buying a Sony product is all the extra
    things you need to make the camera useful.

    Other manufacturers seem to have the edge over Sony in this respect -
    they appear to want to sell you a useful gadget - Sony just wants you to
    keep spending money.

    Stewy, Feb 22, 2005
  6. ziphem

    Larry Guest

    Also, watch out for 3rd party batteries!

    Radio shack sell a nice line of info-lithium for Sony cameras that wont work
    in Sony Cameras!!! Figure THAT out.

    I bought several of them for my Sony F-717 which uses the same battery as my
    Sony digital camcorder and my Sony F-828,, Guess what, they work in both the
    cam corder and the 717 but the 828 comes up with a screen on the viewfinder
    saying "USE ONLY SONY INFO-LITHIUM" and the camera shuts off.

    The battery meets all specs for the 828 except it doesn't identify itself as
    being SONY.

    This is also true of batteries for Sony V-1 and the Sony 5mp Mavicam. They
    will NOT accept batteries from another manufacturer.

    Larry, Feb 22, 2005