Charging camera battery in the UK - Need Quick Advice

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Becki Swain, Nov 2, 2003.

  1. Becki Swain

    Becki Swain Guest

    We're leaving for an extended trip to the UK in about 36 hours. We're
    taking a videocamera with us - either our JVC Digital Video Camera
    which has a separate charger; or our Sony Digital Handycam, which uses
    the camera to charge the battery.

    On our the advice of our family, we had not planned to charge
    batteries while in the UK. Both of my brothers had tried to do so on
    previous trips and had killed their batteries.

    We had planned to borrow extended batteries from friends. At the last
    minute, they have become unavailable. We are not thrilled with the
    idea of running out to Best Buy and dropping $150 on an extended
    battery.

    Both cameras SAY that they will take either voltage. The Sony is
    identical to the one my brother had a bad experience with (plugged it
    in using plug converter and battery died).

    At this point, we're just planning to take one and try to charge it
    over there when the battery runs out. Any advice or experience we can
    learn from? Any thoughts on which one to take? We really don't have
    a preference based on the other features of the cameras.

    Thanks!

    Becki Swain, Nov 2, 2003

  2. It is all up to the charger. If it can handle 220V 50hz you should be
    fine. It may charge faster, but I have not seen this. My guess is your
    brother just had bad luck and the battery decided to die just then.

    If you are not certain of your charger, then consider buying one there,
    and the batter to go with it. Any Tandy (Radio Shack in NA) should have it.

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 2, 2003

  3. Becki Swain

    Peter Roed Guest

    I can not speak for the JVC, but I used Sony products both in the US and
    Europe without any issue.

    Just check on the back of your charger if the voltage is 100-240V and you
    are fine.

    Peter Roed, Nov 3, 2003
  4. Becki Swain

    Donald Gray Guest

    I have a Sony Videocam(purchased in the UK). The Sony charger is multi
    ac voltage input. I have used it in UK 240 vac @50hz, USA 110vac @
    60hz and NZ 240 vac @ 60 hz with no ill effect on the batteries. I
    have both the standard and high capacity Batteries.. Just make sure
    that you treat the batteries in accordance with the makers
    instructions and you should be OK.

    Have a good trip and happy holiday... Safe journey back home

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Nov 3, 2003
  5. There aren't any Tandy (Radio Shack) stores in the UK any more, but Jessops are
    on most high streets and they should be able to help you.
    see:
    http://www.jessops.co.uk

    Andrew Davidson, Nov 3, 2003
  6. I got to get back over there more often. Come to think of it I have not
    seen any in Ireland.

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 3, 2003
  7. I don't know about NI or Eire, but in UK Mainland all the Tandy stores were
    bought by Carphone Warehouse a couple of years ago. Some were converted to that
    brand, some were closed. I believe the Tandy brand is now gone from the UK. The
    nearest equivalent for radio/electronics stuff is probably Maplins, and for
    camera stuff it would be Jessops. Dixons are of course ubiquituous but their
    staff training and knowledge levels leave a lot to be desired.

    URLs:
    http://www.jessops.co.uk/
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/
    http://www.dixons.co.uk/

    Andrew Davidson, Nov 4, 2003
  8. I seem to recall seeing Carphone Warehouse and lots of Jessops. (Too
    many in my opinion, but no one asked.) Thanks

    Joseph Meehan, Nov 4, 2003