    to their phone account without their knowledge after visiting websites. I
    visited a website called oneseek.com looking for software and next thing I
    know I am being charged on my phone account .

    Christine Willis, Oct 16, 2003

  2. Well you must have given them the information then.

    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Oct 16, 2003

  3. No i didn't give out any information about my phone

    Christine Willis, Oct 16, 2003
  4. Christine Willis

    °Mike° Guest

    Never heard of malware dialers, then?

    °Mike°, Oct 16, 2003
  5. Well then I have NO idea how they got the information about your telephone,
    UNLESS you have a trojan or spyware on your PC. Have you done a sweep with
    Adaware, Spybot and an up to date AV prog? Have you got a firewall?

    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Oct 16, 2003
  6. Christine Willis

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Oct 16, 2003
  7. Yes I have had all the spyaware gear on my pc for ages but I didn't have the
    firewall on but I do now.
    I haven't heard about dialers. Is it a virus?

    Christine Willis, Oct 16, 2003
  8. Christine Willis

    °Mike° Guest

    No, a dialer hijacks your connectoid so that you dial
    through it's number. Most tend to be porn dialers,
    but some are other premium rate dialers.

    Do you update SpyBot regularly, and have you scanned
    for viruses?

    I just visited Oneseek, and nothing untoward happened -
    no ActiveX, no downloads, nothing. Have you checked
    with your telephone company about this?

    °Mike°, Oct 16, 2003
  9. Christine Willis

    Richard Guest

    Unless you gave out such information, or they downloaded a dialer into your
    system, they would not know your phone number.
    I'm on the site now and not have been hit with anything.
    A dialer is a program that uses your dialup connection and goes online at
    preset times. Or when you are online and it "phone's home".
    It is not a virus and will not be detected by any antivirus programs.

    You should immediately notify the phone company that unknown software was
    installed into your machine without your consent and made the calls
    automatically.
    You should ask them if they can block the phone number so it won't get
    dialed to again.

    If you're using IE, you should go into tools/internet options/advanced and
    uncheck anything that says "automatic" on it.
    Go through all of the options and make sure you check the items so that you
    have to be asked for any installing of programs.
    And never click "yes" to anything on a popup box without reading the dialog
    first.

    It's also quite possible you acquired the dialer while downloading something
    else on another website or even in a newsgroup.

    Look at the bill and note the first date of occurence. Using windows
    explorer search, search for any items installed on that date.
    Chances are you'll find one.
    If not, look in c:\windows folder and all subfolders for any item which may
    have been created around that date.
    most dialers I've seen generally have oddball names with no clues as to what
    they are.
    like ffddggjgm.exe.
    If you see one like that, trash it.

    Also when you're online, press ctrl+alt+del every now and then and see what
    programs are running.
    If you find one that isn't what you have working, find out what it is.

    Using a firewall like zonealarm will allow you to block dialers from
    accessing without your knowledge.

    Another reason why I love cable. Dialers lose every time.

    Richard, Oct 16, 2003
  10. Yes I called phone company and they told me the site name. I have just head
    back from Fair go and they said they have had others complain about it to so
    they looking into it for me. something to do with popups he said.

    Christine Willis, Oct 16, 2003
  11. thanks for all the good information, I now have something to look into as I
    had no idea about dialers.
    thanks again

    Christine Willis, Oct 16, 2003
  12. Christine Willis

    °Mike° Guest

    Here's a few pages that may help you secure your
    system.

    Safe Hex
    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    Safe Computing Guide
    http://www.trendmicro.com/pc-cillin/vinfo/safe_computing/

    Protect your PC
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/directory/worldwide/en-gb/protect.asp

    Safe Computing Practice
    http://users.iafrica.com/c/cq/cquirke/safe2000.htm

    Safe Computing Practices (Safe Hex)
    http://www.cknow.com/vtutor/vtsafecompute.htm

    °Mike°, Oct 16, 2003
  13. Christine Willis

    Rick Merrill Guest

    You don't have to: their program downloads itself into
    your computer and their program then dials out on your
    modem all by itself.

    Contact your phone company: get the charges reversed
    AND ask your phone company to BLOCK outgoing calls to
    that exchange (for example, 900 numbers and 806 numbers).

    - RM

    Rick Merrill, Oct 17, 2003