Character encoding

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by H van de Ven, Dec 28, 2004.

  1. H van de Ven

    H van de Ven Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm not sure if I am in the right place for this question. Please let me
    know if I'm not.

    Every time I look at a web page using Firefox 1.0 (English version), Firefox
    uses Unicode (UTF-8) for character encoding, which has as a result that some
    letters get replaced by a sign that looks a bit like this: <?>

    Therefor I would like to set the default encoding to Western (ISO-8859-1),
    but there does not seem to be any option in Firefox allowing me to do so.

    I already tried this: View > Character Encoding > Customize List; deleted
    all encodings but Western (ISO-8859-1), but still Firefox uses UTF-8 at
    every web site.

    Is there a trick I can use so Firefox will use ISO-8859-1 and not UTF-8 by
    default?

    Thanks in advance

    H van de Ven
    The Netherlands

    H van de Ven, Dec 28, 2004

  2. H van de Ven

    Arne Guest

    I'm using Mozilla Suit, but I still hope can get some help for Firefox
    with this. In Mozilla I go to Edit > Preferences (belive it's "Tools"
    in Firefox) and there to Languages where I can set the default encoding.

    But still, the browser should choose the right encoding from what's in
    the page if there is a META tag with the encoding, or from the file
    heading that the server send to the browser with info about the file.

    --
    /Arne
    http://web.telia.com/~u97802964/

    The old believe everything, the middle-aged suspect everything and the
    young know everything. (Oscar Wilde)

    Arne, Dec 28, 2004

  3. H van de Ven

    Keith Bowes Guest

    I have Firefox, though I don't use it.

    The preferences are in different places, depending on OS. On Linux,
    it's in the same place as Mozilla; on Windows, it's in the same place as IE.

    But in any case, you enter the "General" section and then click on
    "Languages..." and chose the default encoding.

    Keith Bowes, Dec 28, 2004
  4. H van de Ven

    H van de Ven Guest

    Thanks a ton, that did the trick for me. Maybe I should have looked
    better... :-s

    H van de Ven, Dec 28, 2004
  5. H van de Ven

    Keith Bowes Guest

    Don't feel bad. The Firefox developers like to hide not-so-common
    things, to avoid intimating technophobes.

    Keith Bowes, Dec 30, 2004