Changing UBS ISP to Ihug - problems

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by nil_einne1, Nov 14, 2005.

  1. nil_einne1

    nil_einne1 Guest

    Hey all,

    I haven't bothered to contact Ihug about this yet but does anyone know
    what the normal sequence is like when changing UBS ISP? I'm changing
    from my 256k Orcon to a 2mbit Ihug, Ihug said Telecom told them it
    would happen today. Indeed my DSL downlink speed is now 2560k as would
    be expected. However I cannot log on with my Ihug login, or rather it
    gives me a realm error if I try. It looks to me as if it's still
    connecting to the Orcon realm or whatever. My Orcon account still works
    fine and of course is still limited to 256k by Orcon. Does anyone know
    if it's normal for Telecom to change the speed but not change me to the
    Ihug UBS/realm/whatever?

    I'm a bit worried because I also need to cancel my Orcon. I want to do
    this as soon as possible so Orcon cancels it before my next billing
    cycle next week. However I obviously can't do this yet. I'm a bit
    concerned too that when I cancel my Orcon they might screw up and
    cancel my DSL on my line. Once the switchover has happened they should
    not be able to do this in theory but given this is Telecom, it wouldn't
    surprise me if Telecom let's Orcon cancel DSL on a line that is with
    Ihug... :-(

    Cheers all

    nil_einne1, Nov 14, 2005

  2. nil_einne1

    Dogboy Guest

    ?
    I dont know if this helps you but I know that changing over is a two
    step process. The first step is your modem gets connected at your new
    fast speed then roughly 24-48 hours after that you can actually use that
    speed on the Ihug network.

    I have upgraded from Ihug 256k to 2mbps and I know that the modem
    connecting at 2mbps is only the first half of the process. A lot of
    people have found their modem connected at 2mbps and instantly gone and
    done a speed test to find their speed is still ~256kbps.

    My advice to you is wait a day or two and see what happens, it could be
    a very similar thing happening to you just over two different ISPs
    rather than the Ihug to Ihug process that I know about.

    Dogboy, Nov 14, 2005

  3. nil_einne1

    nil_einne1 Guest

    Yes I read about this... I'm not quite sure if it's the same though. I
    think in these cases, what happens is Telecom changes the speed at the
    Dslam and then the ISP needs to change their settings. This is somewhat
    similar to what I'm experiencing now in that I'm still limited to 256k
    as it should be because Orcon is limiting me to 256k. Of course, Orcon
    should not be changing my limit to 2mbit unlike they would for a normal
    speed change.

    But in my case, I believe it's slightly different. It's possible
    Telecom have done their stuff and are waiting for Ihug but from the way
    things are, I think it's still Telecom that has to change me over to
    Ihug before it'll work.

    I know changes to the PPP authentication system (I think it has a name,
    can't remember what it is) usually happen over night so hopefully it'll
    be done soon, I'll let you know how it goes.

    nil_einne1, Nov 14, 2005
  4. nil_einne1

    Craig Shore Guest

    It's not a painful experience, they answer quick, you should have just rung them
    :)

    a. Telecom change the line
    b. Telecom notify ihug
    c. ihug make the changes at their end.

    There seems to be a bit of a delay between a and b which I found could be
    emiminated by me ringing the ihug helpdesk. That happened because I wondered
    the same as you when I had the new line speed to the dslam. I called ihug and he
    said they were waiting on Telecom to tell them it was all go, but he tried doing
    the change at their end when I was on the phone to him. It was then operational
    for me in less than 5 mins.

    Craig Shore, Nov 14, 2005
  5. nil_einne1

    nil_einne1 Guest

    I dislike calling people, now matter how painless it is. Especially
    when it's unnecessary. Call me anti social but...

    For clarification are you refering to a change in UBS ISP or simply a
    change in line speed? Want to check because as mentioned elsewhere, I'm
    not quite sure if my change is the same as the change in speed, in fact
    I think it's not. But perhaps I'm wrong...

    nil_einne1, Nov 15, 2005
  6. nil_einne1

    Craig Shore Guest

    Changing ISP.