Changing the virtual memory min. and max. makes icons longer to load on Win. XP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bun Mui, May 26, 2004.

  1. Bun Mui

    Bun Mui Guest

    I change my virtual memory of Windows XP originally was 168 min. and
    336 max. mbs. for page file, but I found the memory was not enough, so
    I increased from 168mb to 200 mb for minimum and 336 to 700 mb. for
    maximum.

    Now I found that when it opens and loads the desktop. The desktop
    icons
    do not appear immediately. The background blue screen for the desktop
    appears
    for about 2 mins. before the icons start appearing.
    I tried to change back to original min. and max. settings, but no
    luck.
    I would like to make it so the desktop icons appear more quickly when
    I open
    the computer. The icons on the system tray also loading slower then
    before.

    What should I do to change this?

    I have about 112 mbs. of Ram on my computer.

    It is a Compaq Presario S4000NX computer.

    Thanks.

    Bun Mui

    Bun Mui, May 26, 2004

  2. Bun Mui

    Ross Durie Guest

    More RAM would be indicated given the more than slight deficiency.

    Ross Durie, May 26, 2004

  3. Bun Mui

    Unk Guest

    Right-click "My Computer", "Properties", "Advanced" tab. Under
    Performance section, click the "Settings" button, "Advanced" tab,
    under the Virtual memory section, click the "Change" button, and
    check the option, "System managed size". Click the "Set" button,
    click "OK", "Apply", and "OK" your way out.

    Virtual Memory in Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

    Window has a feature that will unload dlls when the program using
    them is closed but that is not the default. To keep Windows
    running more efficiently you can set it to unload the dlls that
    are not in use. Create a text file called Unload.txt
    Select the below text beginning with the 'R' in REGEDIT4 and
    ending with the end of the blank line. Copy it to the clipboard
    and paste it into the text file. Rename it to Unload.reg, and
    double click it to modify the registry.

    ------------- copy below this line -----------------------
    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\AlwaysUnloadDLL]
    @="1"

    Unk, May 26, 2004
  4. Bun Mui

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    homeusers should not play with windows registries...

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, May 26, 2004