    Could I simply copy all of my C drive to my secondary hard drive,
    remap the drive letters so that the secondary drive is C and upon
    reboot my system would boot up using the larger drive as the primary?

    Ludwig77, Jul 22, 2009

  2. Ludwig77

    chuckcar Guest

    If your drive already has errors and Ghost is *finding* those errors, then
    the backup will be faulty and not near complete. You *have* to reinstall,
    it's too late, you waited too long to back up. Take this as a lesson.

    chuckcar, Jul 23, 2009

  3. Ludwig77

    Ludwig77 Guest

    No lesson required. Its only one partition that gets the errors.

    What if I were to simply copy the program files AND the registry?

    Would that plan prevent me from having to reinstall applications?

    Ludwig77, Aug 4, 2009
  4. Ludwig77

    Pennywise Guest

    Xp assumed

    The program files and the registry only? No, for one all your .dll
    files for the programs are located in the windows/system32 dir. Other
    file are scattered everywhere:
    E:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data being an example.

    If you were to boot up with a boot disk. Then copy the entire drive to
    the new one it should work.

    Too many errors on the copy, run a Repair install.

    If you haven't installed SP3 yet, slipstream XP and SP3, then you
    shouldn't be stopped in the middle of the operation because of an
    update you don't have that it want's.
    www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/Slipstreaming_Windows_XP_Service_Pack_3.html
    If you don't have auto updates on, it should work, no problems.

    Pennywise, Aug 4, 2009
  5. Ludwig77

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    No it *won't* Penny. These are *physical* errors, The drive is dead, the
    data is gone.

    chuckcar, Aug 4, 2009
  6. Ludwig77

    Pennywise Guest

    If the OP is getting can't read disk continue? or skipping sector as
    it can't be read (it's been a long time, can't remember the terms).

    Yes files would be missing or corrupt, a repair install would fix the
    windows files or OS, the program files, or anything not MS would need
    to be replaced.

    Think of a repair install as "scannow sfc" but for the entire OS.

    But like SFC a few updates and it might abort, or you reboot cause
    your tired of it asking for so and so file and hitting cancel isn't
    getting you anywhere no matter how many times you click on it :)

    But the OS will still boot up with no lose of data - this case
    depending upon just how many errors encountered, on just how many
    "program file" programs make it.

    Pennywise, Aug 4, 2009