Changing file sorting in File Allocation Table?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by mbisping, Aug 24, 2007.

  1. mbisping

    mbisping Guest

    Hello,

    I have a media player with a FAT32 hard drive.
    http://www.yukai.eu/html/prod_pmc/PVR-H240.html

    For some reason the developers didn't think it was necessary that the
    firmware sorts file names, which is cumbersome, as I get
    12 - xx
    02 - xx
    01 -xxx
    03 -xxx

    etc.
    Apparently, they just display the entries as they are found in the
    FAT, even copying files in the right order with their special software
    didn't help.
    The support line said that the way it is at the moment, an update
    might take quite some time.
    So, I wonder if one could maybe change the file sorting directly in
    the file allocation table as a workaround for this weird behaviour.

    mbisping, Aug 24, 2007

  2. mbisping

    cesar Guest

    Try with FATsort (http://hem.passagen.se/chsw/fatsort/index.html).

    Works perfect with my iriver T-10 and Windows XP.

    HTH

    cesar, Aug 24, 2007