Changing BIOS settings with new video card

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hey everyone. I have a couple of BIOS setting questions I am hoping someone
    could help clear up for me here. I am running WinXP SP2 on a P4 1.5 Ghz
    system with an ASUS P4B mobo and AwardBIOS.
    I just bought an 128mb ATI Radeon 9600XT after Christmas to replace my 64mb
    PCI GeForce4 MX for better gaming. So far, so good; but I wasn't impressed
    with the quality of watching video files (mpeg, avi, etc.,) full-screen with
    this new card compared to my old GeForce, so I decided to see if I had to
    change some BIOS settings to accomodate the new AGP card. I had totally
    uninstalled the old GeForce card before installing the new ATI one (drivers
    and software), but wasn't sure if I had to change some BIOS settings to
    accomodate new AGP card.
    The first two settings I changed was under Chip Configuration where I
    changed the Optimization Mode to Turbo 1 from Normal (options were Normal,
    Turbo 1, Turbo 2). I know my MOBO book said Turbo mode enhances system
    performance, but how and is it good to have on.
    Next, I changed Graphics Aperture Size from 64mb to 128mb. Is this okay? My
    book said this feature allows you to select the size of mapped memory for
    AGP graphic data. With the card being 128mb, does this mean you set this
    setting to 128mb or am I totally misunderstanding what this setting means?
    Lastly, I changed Primary VGA Bcard under PCI Configuration to AGP VGA card
    from PCI VGA card. What is this setting for and should I have left it on PCI
    VGA card for some reason?
    Sorry for the length of this and thanks for any help in advance. Also, if
    there are any BIOS settings I was supposed to tweak or change, feel free to
    let me know what I may have missed.
    Thanks again,
    Mike

    Mike, Jan 25, 2005

  2. Mike

    dadiOH Guest

    Not read for lack of white space...too confusing.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

    dadiOH, Jan 25, 2005

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Sorry, let me fix that up here.

    Mike, Jan 25, 2005
  4. Damn... sounds complicated. As far as watching videos.. Maybe you need more
    RAM in your system and upgrade to the latest DirectX. Maybe you need the
    newest drivers for your card.

    nntp.charter.net, Jan 25, 2005
  5. Mike

    dadiOH Guest

    Much, much better. Hope you get some info. I would offer same but
    don't know the answers to your questions.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

    dadiOH, Jan 25, 2005
  6. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Sorry for the repeat guys. Was in a hurry and didn't realize I kept
    resending it. Anyways, I have the newest Direct X 9.0c installed. Updated my
    vid card drivers directly from ATI's site and have 1gb of RAM installed.
    Like I said, my GeForce4 MX seemed to play the videos on fullscreen smoothly
    and it looked awesome.

    Thanks again guys,
    Mike

    Mike, Jan 26, 2005