changed state to up changed state to down FastEthernet LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by surrealarmada, Mar 7, 2007.

  1. Good evening,

    My LAN management guys are reporting that " interface is down with our
    Cisco switch " . I have checked the log files on the Cisco switch and
    I found the following errors:

    23w5d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface
    FastEthernet0/6, changed state to up
    23w5d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface
    FastEthernet0/6, changed state to down
    23w5d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface
    FastEthernet0/6, changed state to up
    23w5d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface
    FastEthernet0/6, changed state to down
    23w5d: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/6, changed state to
    down
    23w5d: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/6, changed state to up
    23w5d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface
    FastEthernet0/6, changed state to up
    23w5d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface
    FastEthernet0/6, changed state to down
    23w5d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface
    FastEthernet0/6, changed state to up
    23w5d: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface
    FastEthernet0/6, changed state to down
    23w5d: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/6, changed state to
    down
    23w5d: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/6, changed state to up

    The interface is down for few seconds and comes up again multiple
    times.

    Any ideas? Cheers, Rob

    surrealarmada, Mar 7, 2007

  2. Bad or loose cable? Invalid settings (duplex mismatch or something the like)?

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    Immunbiologie
    Postfach 1169 Internet: [email protected] dot mpg dot de
    D-79011 Freiburg, Germany

    Christoph Gartmann, Mar 7, 2007

  3. surrealarmada

    JF Mezei Guest

    I have some nodes which do this when they reboot. First, etherenet comes up
    "default", then the powerup script defines the ethernet port and the port
    temporarily goes down, then as the OS (VMS in my case) comes up, at one point,
    it takes over the ethernet port and it also goes down for a second or two.

    no logging event addr-flap
    carrier-delay 10

    Will help. It basically tells the switch to wait 10 seconds before declaring
    that the ethernet link is down. The first one reduces the number of syslog
    messages being issued.

    JF Mezei, Mar 7, 2007
  4. surrealarmada

    JF Mezei Guest

    Sorry about that . addr-flap doesn't seem to work. And I can't find a reference
    for it either (although my switch says it supports it.

    SWITCH1(config-if)#logging event ?
    addr-flap Enable and Disable Address Flap messages
    link-status UPDOWN and CHANGE messages
    subif-link-status Sub-interface UPDOWN and CHANGE messages

    Obviously, link-status is the one to really remove it. It seems to generate 2
    messages (LINEPROTO-5 and LINK-3 messages) whenever the link changes.

    JF Mezei, Mar 7, 2007