Change logic board on IBM dead drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Designerd, Aug 4, 2004.

  1. Designerd

    Designerd Guest

    Hello, help please. I'm a graphic design major college student. My
    hard drive (IBM Deskstar 61.4 GB 7200RPM P/N 07N9209 Model:
    IC35L060AVVA07-0) just crashed over the weekend. And I lost all my
    school works and design files. It's my first time use this forum. Hope
    anyone can give me some valuable advice.

    My question is what is the best way to revive this type of drive.It
    will not spin up now, and can not be detected in the BIOS. I was able
    to locate an identical hard drive. Can I possible revive my hard drive
    by swaping the logic board? Have anyone try this with this type of
    drive before?
    Will it cause further damage to the drive?

    If that doesn't work. I'm thinking to go to a data recovery company.
    Does anyone know any good data recovery company that is trust worthy?
    Prefer in Los Angeles or close by coz I don't feel safe to mail my
    drive out.

    Also, I need to purchase new hard drives. Does anyone know what drives
    have the best rating for stability? Please let me know. Thank you very
    very much!!

    Designerd, Aug 4, 2004

  2. Designerd

    Unk Guest

    First, put the drive in a Zip Lock Freezer bag, removing as much air as
    possible, and leave in the freezer overnight.
    Install the frozen drive along with a new one as a slave and boot up. If the
    old drive spins up, and the BIOS can see it, copy the data immediately to
    the new drive.
    Swap the platters: I had one success in 5 tries.
    Swap logic board: I had one success in 5 tries.
    Probably: The read/record heads can damage the platters during the swap.
    Possibly: The new logic board can be damaged in the same way the original
    was (if it was actually the cause of the failure to start with)
    Can't help here. None of the customers wanted to spend that kind of money.
    You'll get all kinds of opinions here. I've seen all brands fail. Backup is
    the key. I use 2 hard drives (one on each IDE port) and use one for copies
    of important data. If you install a removable caddy for the spare drive, you
    can use that to back up the OS too.

    Unk, Aug 4, 2004

  3. Designerd

    Hamman Guest

    You might get lucky. But take it t the recovery company first. theyre the
    professionals and know what theyre doing.
    90% chance they can recover it. REALLY expensive if they have to rebuild the
    drive.
    Mirrored RAID array, with at least 4 disks. Failing that at least a second
    back up drive, regualar DVD backups, tapes, remote file storage etc.
    Did your college not provide a username on thier active directory for you to
    save stuff too? I'm using mine to backup my webhost data.

    hamman

    Hamman, Aug 4, 2004
  4. Designerd

    Kenny Guest

    Kenny, Aug 4, 2004
  5. Designerd

    SgtMinor Guest

    SgtMinor, Aug 4, 2004
  6. Designerd

    Shel-hed Guest

    On 4 Aug 2004 13:10:31 -0700, (Designerd) wrote in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    snippage
    Stay away from Western Digital for now; It's their turn to suck.
    I like Maxtor.

    Shel-hed, Aug 5, 2004
  7. Designerd

    Pennywise Guest

    On 4 Aug 2004 13:10:31 -0700, (Designerd) wrote:

    |>Hello, help please. I'm a graphic design major college student. My
    |>hard drive (IBM Deskstar 61.4 GB 7200RPM P/N 07N9209 Model:
    |>IC35L060AVVA07-0) just crashed over the weekend. And I lost all my
    |>school works and design files. It's my first time use this forum. Hope
    |>anyone can give me some valuable advice.
    |>
    |>My question is what is the best way to revive this type of drive.It
    |>will not spin up now, and can not be detected in the BIOS. I was able
    |>to locate an identical hard drive. Can I possible revive my hard drive
    |>by swaping the logic board?

    Exact same type? Very good chance of getting the drive going to
    salvage your stuff.

    |> Have anyone try this with this type of drive before?

    Not that type, but I've transplanted a few logic boards to drives to
    get them to work. All exactly the same type board/Drive.

    |>Will it cause further damage to the drive?

    Pays your dime and takes your chances.

    Pennywise, Aug 5, 2004