CF write speed: does it really matter for a Canon G5?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Aaron Weiss, Nov 24, 2003.

  1. Aaron Weiss

    Aaron Weiss Guest

    Hello all,

    Does a Canon G5 write images to memory quickly enough for this to be an
    issue? The frames I typically shoot range from 500KB - 1MB in size (as
    JPGs). If I'm shooting 1 frame/second, would the difference in recycle
    times be noticable between a 40x card and a run-of-the-mill 8x card?

    As I understand it, part of a camera's effective recycle rate is
    determined by the speed of its image compression, so at some point the
    time it takes to compress images becomes the limiting factor. Also, if
    the G5 can only write at say 1.5MB/sec, then it doesn't make much sense
    to buy a card with a write rate of more than '10x' (assuming 'x' =
    150kb/sec). But does anyone know what the G5's maximum sustained write
    rate is?

    Regards,
    Aaron

    Aaron Weiss, Nov 24, 2003