    I have a Nikon Coolpix 880. Can I use this size memory with this camera?

    TIA
    tess

    tess, Dec 24, 2003

  2. tess

    Fanchon Guest

    Definitively not! :-(

    I cannot recall whether it even takes a 256MB. The manual mentions
    that Lexar 160MB have been tested.

    Fanchon

    Fanchon, Dec 25, 2003

  3. tess

    tess Guest

    I never thought of compatibility in the past. I do have a 256 cf and
    have had no problems with it. Will using this somehow damage the
    camera? Or do I just risk some type of failure with the larger
    memory?

    TIA
    tess

    tess, Dec 25, 2003
  4. tess

    Fanchon Guest

    If it is working you are doing fine!

    The key is how large an address can the camera manage.

    Obviously it can handle up to 256MB.

    I know that it canNOT handle a 1GB card.

    Fanchon

    Fanchon, Dec 25, 2003
  5. tess

    Bill Frank Guest

    How do you know it will not work?

    CompactFlash itself is capable of addressing up to 137GB. The Microsoft
    FAT16 file system used by the 880 can address up to 2.2GB. There is no
    technical reason that the 880 would not work with a 1GB Type I CF card
    unless Nikon firmware has a problem with the exposures available counter
    having a number over 99. Most cameras just show 99 when the count is over
    99.

    Bill Frank
    CompactFlash Association

    Bill Frank, Dec 25, 2003
  6. tess

    tess Guest

    If I remember, my camera will show a count higher than 99. So, I am
    not taking a chance getting a 1G card, if it is type 1? I read the
    "approved"
    cards on the Nikon site, but I think that "approved" doesn't
    necessarily mean that other cards won't work.

    I also thought that perhaps, as this is an older camera, there wasn't
    such large memory commonly available at the time.

    Thanks for your help.

    tess

    tess, Dec 26, 2003