certificate revocation and expiration

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by yelohk, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. yelohk

    yelohk Guest

    I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask. I have some expired
    certificates located under "Trusted Root Certification Authority" and
    "Third Party Root Certification Authorites". I read that you shouldn't
    delete root certificates, but don't know how to update them, or perhaps
    this information is incorrect? A couple of them are microsoft certs
    (Microsoft Timestamp Root, Microsoft Authenticode Root) and a few are
    verisign certs. Some expired in 1999!

    I'm not quite sure what to do with them. I changed the properties using
    Microsoft Management Console to disable all purposes for this
    certificate for all the expired certificates. I'm not sure if that was
    the right thing to do, as I'm mucking around with things I don't really
    understand...

    Also I keep getting messages that Revocation Information is not
    available for this security certificate, do you want to proceed? Is this
    something I should be worried about? Should I not be submitting
    information to these sites?

    yelohk, Sep 29, 2003