    Please please help

    Thanks
    Nesar

    S.M. A. Nesar, Jul 6, 2003

  2. S.M. A. Nesar

    Tom Helms Guest

    email

    Tom Helms, Jul 6, 2003

  3. S.M. A. Nesar

    Paul Hanlon Guest

    Nesar,

    One way to prove your certifications is by giving your
    prospective employer a copy of your transcript. That is a
    full list of all exams you have passed. Try all the
    options posted to get access to the secure site to get
    this.

    I have to say though that this is an issue with me. Cisco
    now provide a section of there website where employers can
    check a persons credentials by typing in there Cicso ID.
    I think Microsoft should use something similar. The
    transcripts are far too easy to fake and therefore are not
    good enough

    Paul Hanlon CCNA, MCSA

    Paul Hanlon, Jul 7, 2003
  4. S.M. A. Nesar

    Zenner Guest

    Personally, I find fault with anyone checking on any information about me
    without my permission. Presentation of certification, degree, drivers
    license library card or what ever you have, is a decision you should
    consciously make. For someone to stumble through your personal records,
    without any reason or oversight is an invasion. We are confronted on a daily
    basis, with Identity theft, inappropriate disclosure of personal information
    (by "authorities" as well as hacker and wanna-bees) why would you want to
    loosen the controls any further?

    An appropriate function would be to allow the certificate holder to
    authorize, by entering the Transcript site, and sending an emailed copy of
    the transcript to an appropriate mailbox. The integrity of the process would
    be assured by the link/transcript being sent from Microsoft. This would
    satisfy a legitimate employers questions, yet stop casual inquires that have
    no investment (other than curiosity) from viewing your records. An
    alternative would be to allow the access, but require a record of their
    identity to be stored online and available for the certificate holder to
    review. Fair is fair, if you want information...then you should provide
    information.

    Zenner, Jul 7, 2003
  5. S.M. A. Nesar

    Consultant Guest

    nicely put

    Consultant, Jul 7, 2003
  6. S.M. A. Nesar

    Cruz Gracia Guest

    Nice arguement, but when you fill out the application on interview day, I
    have yet to NOT provide my social security #, a copy of my driver's license,
    etc. The fact that this information is given to them is basically consent
    for them to use it as they wish (hell they probably sell this info....I'll
    never know). I find that information more valuable than providing them with
    a transcript of an industry cert, so what is the big deal? They want proof.

    Cruz

    Cruz Gracia, Jul 8, 2003
  7. S.M. A. Nesar

    Zenner Guest

    Point given. However, my concern is not with a legitimate request for ID, in
    the case of my applying for a test...it is "my" desire to be certified. I
    instigate the transaction. if I chose not to give the information, then I
    can chose not to take the test. What I was addressing was the original post.
    He was advocating that Microsoft open up the enrollment and transcripts to,
    what I see as casual, review. Giving spammers access to 1 million plus MCP,
    MCSA, MCSE, MCSD, MCT...etc. with no oversight or corresponding obligation
    on their part? Seems like it would increase the number of fraudulent
    certificates instead of decreasing it. Further, if someone has a legitimate
    interest in whether or not you or I have attained some recognition, all they
    have to do is ask, explain their need for the information and ...if
    reasonable...they get an answer. What is so hard about that? As far as
    employers or potential employers...I think authorizing MS to provide that
    info, under your direction, is very reasonable. We are only in the infancy
    of privacy protection and identity impersonation (theft), we need to make a
    decision personally and legally as to owns our identities. Since it is my
    life, I tend to believe it should be me, if not, then I should at least know
    who is accessing my information. Full disclosure is acceptable, only to
    those who know "their" information is protected.

    Want to see a busy beehive, expose the personal info of our "public"
    figures! Police, politicians, business leaders, judges, doctors,
    corporations...all want more access to your info, but try to get access to
    theirs or publish it on a public forum...then you will see just how equally
    the privacy laws are interpreted.

    Zenner, Jul 8, 2003
  8. S.M. A. Nesar

    JaR Guest

    Cruz Gracia wrote in message
    Unmm, No, it's not. They are expected to safeguard that data in their HR
    files (at least in the USA) and if fraudulent use is made of it, they can be
    liable for both civil and criminal charges.

    HTH, HAND

    J.R. Jones MCNGP #22
    http://www.mcngp.tk
    The MCNGP Team - We're here to help

    JaR, Jul 8, 2003
  9. S.M. A. Nesar

    Jonojacker Guest

    Employers are limited to date of hire, position and whether they would
    welcome you back again. They are unable to even disclose salary
    information.

    Checking on references sometimes requires obtaining permission from
    candidates. Any reluctance might signal a character flaw.

    HTH.

    Jonojacker, Jul 8, 2003
  10. S.M. A. Nesar

    Maestro Guest

    I disagree with this assessment. Most people don't challenge how
    information protected by the privacy act will be used, but let there be no
    doubt that you do have choices. There's nothing to stop you from having
    your potential employer put in writing how that information will be used.
    If your potential employer chooses not to then questions about their
    integrity should come immediately to mine. And, before you say nobody in
    their right mind would make such a request when they're trying to get hired,
    know that I did with my current employer and had a very in-depth discussion
    about my privacy concerns. Also, anyone afraid to bring up these issues get
    what they get. Remember at a job interview the employee is interviewing the
    employer just as much as they're being interview. They should be trying to
    determine if the company is a good fit.

    Maestro, Jul 8, 2003