    Why buy one or the other.

    Thank you,

    Jean-Pierre Gauthier

    Jean-Pierre Gauthier, Jul 15, 2006

  2. Jean-Pierre Gauthier

    doS Guest

    Pentium

    doS, Jul 15, 2006

  3. Jean-Pierre Gauthier

    Pennywise Guest

    |>I am considering buying a laptop and wonder why I should pay more for
    |>essentially the same computer.
    |>
    |>For ex: Dell sent an ad where an Inspiron 1300 laptop (1Mb cache) sells
    |>for $599can with a Celeron chip (1.5GHz) or $799 with a Pentium (1.7
    |>GHz).
    |>
    |>Everything else about the machine is identical.
    |>
    |>Similarly, an Inspiron 640m (2Mb cache) sells for $899 and has a
    |>Centrino (2GHz). Everything else seems to match the machine above.
    |>
    |>Why buy one or the other.

    L2 cache is everything as far as I'm concern'd.

    Pennywise, Jul 15, 2006
  4. Jean-Pierre Gauthier

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Avoid the Celeron - it's the "budget" line. Like putting a VW engine in a
    Cadillac. Sure, you can make it work, but it will take twice a long to get
    anywhere.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 15, 2006
  5. Jean-Pierre Gauthier

    Jerry Attic Guest

    The Celeron actually has less L1 cache on it. Depending on what Celeron CPU
    you it is (yes, there are more than 1 Celeron) it could have anywhere from
    128 kb to 256 kb of memory. The 1 mb cache they are talking about is
    actually L2 cache. Given all things being equal, the 1.5 ghz celeron will
    run slower than the 1.7 ghz Pentium
    The Centrino is a Pentium enhanced for both power saving and wireless
    features on notebooks. Generally speaking, CPUs desigened specifically for
    use in notebooks will scale back their speed (and power consumption) to
    extend battery life and go back to the higher speeds when connected to a
    power outlet. I haven't looked at the Inspirion's with the Celeron or
    Pentium but I assume they probably do the same, just not as well.
    It all depends on what you intend to do with the machine. If price is an
    issue and you don't need the speed, the Celeron should be a perfectly
    acceptable machine. OTOH, if you need a machine with a longer battery life
    and more power for open multiple windows, the Centrino would be a better
    choice.

    Jerry

    Jerry Attic, Jul 15, 2006
  6. Jean-Pierre Gauthier

    me Guest

    Be more reliable with a German engine.

    me, Jul 16, 2006
  7. Jean-Pierre Gauthier

    Toolman Tim Guest

    LOL!

    Toolman Tim, Jul 16, 2006
  8. Yeah, but the *real* project car would be the vee-dub with the Cadillac
    engine...

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 16, 2006
  9. Jean-Pierre Gauthier

    Pennywise Guest

    |>> LOL!

    |>Yeah, but the *real* project car would be the vee-dub with the Cadillac
    |>engine...

    Better yet
    http://tinyurl.com/f2amv
    same
    http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/street-legal-jet-powered-vw-beetle

    I like the older one's better, but it would do...

    Pennywise, Jul 16, 2006
  10. Jean-Pierre Gauthier

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Toolman Tim, Jul 16, 2006
  11. Yeah, I've seen the video. That's a...er...gas. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 16, 2006
  12. Yeah, but take care you don't rev the engine too high when it's standing
    still ... likely to roll the thing over. :)

    Gary G. Taylor, Jul 16, 2006
  13. Jean-Pierre Gauthier

    Top Guest

    Blinky the Shark brought next idea :
    Got a 72 lamans sitting in the garage as a projject care.

    (Sorry for the spelling but it's getting harder to type)

    Top

    Top, Jul 18, 2006
  14. Jean-Pierre Gauthier

    Toolman Tim Guest

    And I know it isn't the beer. Hope things settle for you and don't keep
    getting worse...

    Toolman Tim, Jul 18, 2006
  15. Jean-Pierre Gauthier

    Top Guest

    After serious thinking Toolman Tim wrote :
    Doc says he's as certain as he can be that it is Parkinson's but there
    is no definitive way to know. All he can do is rule out every thing.
    else. He's started me on anti-sezure medication and if that helps there
    is not much else it could be. Could be a lot worse. When he said the
    MRI was clear I was a bit relieved.

    Top

    Top, Jul 18, 2006
  16. Jean-Pierre Gauthier

    Toolman Tim Guest

    So true - it is good to eliminate some things, but until the situation is
    managed reasonably well, the stress can be unbearable. Best wishes!

    Toolman Tim, Jul 19, 2006
  17. Jean-Pierre Gauthier

    Plato Guest

    Go for the celeron.