Cellular Broadband

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Paula ;), Aug 30, 2008.

  1. Paula ;)

    Lem Guest

    Networking advice courtesy of MS-MVP Malke:

    File/printer sharing

    Sharing in Vista. Includes details about sharing printers as well as
    files and folders:

    For XP, start by running the Network Setup Wizard on all machines (see
    caveat in Item A below).

    Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally
    caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall or overlooked firewall (including
    a stateful firewall in a VPN); or 2) inadvertently running two firewalls
    such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party firewall; and/or
    3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on all Workgroup
    machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating system does not
    permit it.

    A. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network
    (LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing
    File/Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network
    Setup Wizard on XP will take care of this for those machines.The only
    "gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you
    aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus with
    "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a
    firewall, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually
    configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
    subnet. Do not run more than one firewall. DO NOT TURN OFF FIREWALLS;
    CONFIGURE THEM CORRECTLY.

    B. For ease of organization, put all computers in the same Workgroup.
    This is done from the System applet in Control Panel, Computer Name tab.

    C. Create matching user accounts and passwords on all machines. You do
    not need to be logged into the same account on all machines and the
    passwords assigned to each user account can be different; the
    accounts/passwords just need to exist and match on all machines. DO NOT
    NEGLECT TO CREATE PASSWORDS, EVEN IF ONLY SIMPLE ONES. If you wish a
    machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular user's
    account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at this link
    work for both XP and Vista:

    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

    D. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center, turn off
    Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab).

    E. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
    home directories or Program Files, but you can share folders inside
    those directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared Documents
    folder.
    See the first link above for details about Vista sharing.

    F. After you have file sharing working (and have tested this by
    exchanging a file between all machines), if you want to share a printer
    connected locally to one of your computers, share it out from that
    machine. Then go to the printer mftr.'s website and download the latest
    drivers for the correct operating system(s). Install them on the target
    machine(s). The printer should be seen during the installation routine.
    If it is not, install the drivers and then use the Add Printer Wizard.
    In some instances, certain printers need to be installed as Local
    printers but that is outside of this response.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Sep 7, 2008

  3. Paula ;)

    Paula ;) Guest

    Yea, I read something about that in all my searching for an answer and I
    believe I have all firewalls concerned straightened out. I've got Norton on
    both machines.

    Thanks!
    Paula

    Paula ;), Sep 7, 2008
  5. Paula ;)

    Paula ;) Guest

    You've got a lot for me to do here, Lem. One question I do have is on the
    running of two firewalls. Which firewall should I run, Windows or Norton? I
    currently have them both running -- I think I'll turn off Norton and see what
    happens.

    I also made sure I had to duplicate users and created identical passwords
    for them. I hadn't had passwords on them previously since they're home
    computers and I'm really the only person that uses them anyway.

    I will go over the rest of this list and let you know how it goes... thanks
    again for you help!!

    Paula

    Paula ;), Sep 7, 2008
  7. Paula ;)

    Lem Guest

    If you follow Malke's advice, you should be able to get file and printer
    sharing to work. If you still have trouble, check out the following web
    page. If you answer all the questions there, it should pinpoint the
    source of your network problems: http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

    Yes, disable the Norton firewall (some folks in this newsgroup go as far
    as to suggest removing all Norton products entirely, but you can decide
    about that later). I don't know if the Norton "suites" (Norton 360 and
    Norton Internet Security) incorporate "Internet Worm Protection" into
    their firewalls or if they have a firewall in addition to IWP. In the
    latter case, you'd have to disable both.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Sep 8, 2008
  9. Paula ;)

    Paula ;) Guest

    I know there are a lot of people that don't like Norton. I've used it for
    years, in fact it's the only one I've ever used, and really haven't had any
    problems with it. Just gotta get those settings right! The version on the
    desktop is older and actually easier to configure than the newer version on
    the laptop seems to be. And yes, the newer version doesn't mention a
    firewall, just IWP.

    One nagging question that plagues me, what makes a network go in and out
    like they do? There may not even be an easy answer for that. It just seems
    like they go in and out on a whim!

    Thanks,
    Paula

    Paula ;), Sep 8, 2008