    Dell Inspiron 8600, brand new
    Nokia 6800, brand new

    Anyone heard about this sort of thing?

    Erik T. Nomad, Sep 21, 2004

  2. Erik T. Nomad

    Rv! Guest

    Not a lot you can do to resolve the actual problem.
    The laptop is going mad due to the high strength very local radio
    transmission (ie phone) and is powering down.

    Moving the phone slightly further away will reduce the RF level
    dramatically and stop the problem. My older Lattiude doesn't
    have this problem though.

    Rv!

    Rv!, Sep 21, 2004

  3. Erik T. Nomad

    Jerry G. Guest

    I have heard of similar problems as this. That is the reason why
    hospitals don't allow cell phones to be used even in their zones. Over
    here they are very strict about the use of cell phones in many places
    because of the RFI (Radio Frequency Interference).

    I would suggest to use the cell phone farther from the computer, or turn
    it off at the time of using the cell phone.

    I have a GPS navigation system in my car. I have one cell phone model
    that when I make a call on it, the GPS shows me moving erratically all
    over the place at over 200 mph! Another cell phone I have, has no
    effect on the GPS.

    The cell phone that does not interfere with the GPS is unusable when it
    is within about 10 feet to any microwave oven that is working. I can
    have the other cell phone within a foot to the microwave oven, and it
    works perfectly with no interference.

    I strongly think this is due to the design of the internal shielding of
    the phone, and probably the particular frequencies of any one or
    combination of the local oscillators, clocking generators, and or
    intermediate-frequency amplifier stages.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Hey...a bit of an oddity. Twice I've had my cell phone in my pocket
    while
    working on my laptop (with it directly on my lap), twice my phone has
    rung,
    and twice my computer has powered off immediately -- as if the battery
    had
    been yanked. Obviously it's not a coincidence; here are the stats on my
    systems:

    Jerry G., Sep 21, 2004
  4. Erik T. Nomad

    David Guest

    Newsflash: surgeons and anesthesiologists ROUTINELY use their cell
    phones and Blackberrys during surgery. The public stance in doctor's
    offices is that patients turn off their cell phones, but the doctors
    themselves use their cell phones. Ever heard of any airliner flying off
    course because a passenger surreptitiously used their cell phone??

    David

    David, Sep 22, 2004
  5. Erik T. Nomad

    Bradley26 Guest

    thats interesting. Ive seen them interfere with monitors but not shut down
    a computer. laptops have power sensing circuits, maybe the phone triggered
    that

    when you have a cell, it pings every once in a while then starts
    transmitting hard when it gets a call and you talk. if the signal is weak,
    it boosts the strength

    it sure aint Nokias fault

    Bradley26, Sep 24, 2004