    besides price?

    Thanks,
    Jenn

    Jenn, Feb 14, 2004

  2. Jenn

    JWooden271 Guest

    For one thing, the Pentium 4 will be a lot faster. Celerons are
    notorious for their lackluster performance. So, go with the Pentiumk 4.

    Or, you might want to consider getting an AMD Athlon processor. They
    perform the same or better than a P4, but with a sweeter price tag.

    JWooden271, Feb 14, 2004

  3. I haven't had any Intel CPUs for years, but I *think* the difference is
    cache size.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 14, 2004
  4. Jenn

    philo Guest

    Yes, the celeron has a smaller internal cache...
    for "light" use it will probably work ok...
    but I personally go with AMD's most of the time

    philo, Feb 15, 2004
  5. My last four have been AMD.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 15, 2004
  6. Jenn

    Harrison Guest

    L2 Cache size is the biggest difference.
    L2 Cache is spot of memory which resides right on the chip. This is the fastest memory available to the cpu. The larger
    the cache, the faster the chip will seem , because less data will have to be transferred in and out of RAM.

    Whether or not you ever see or feel the difference is in a large part dependent on what you do with the computer.
    Surfing, Word Processing, and e-mail don't require much processing power and you'd be fine with a Celeron.
    Video editing, gaming, and image processing are cpu intensive and you'd benefit from the added performance of the P4.

    http://www.mnpage.com/petsuch/cpuchart.htm

    Harrison, Feb 15, 2004
  7. Jenn

    Shel-hed Guest

    What a waste of time that chart is. Don't you look at the links you paste?

    Shel-hed, Feb 15, 2004
  8. Jenn

    Harrison Guest

    The chart is adequate in illustrating the differences in L2 cache sizes between P4 and Celeron CPU's.

    If you have a question, start a new thread and I'll try to address your specific needs.

    Harrison, Feb 15, 2004
  9. Jenn

    SgtMinor Guest

    Baloney. Your link pegs the Celeron as a 500 - 800 MHz processor with
    an FSB of 66 MHz. Currently available Celerons are rated at 2.80 ghz
    with an FSB of 400 MHz.

    http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/processors/celeron/

    SgtMinor, Feb 15, 2004
  10. Jenn

    Shel-hed Guest

    So the answer to my question is "I try to look at the links, but I don't know what I'm
    talking about. I simply post insults if anyone calls me on it."

    Shel-hed, Feb 15, 2004
  11. Jenn

    Harrison Guest

    FSB and clock speeds have nothing to do with the L2 cache points I was making.
    All other things being equal, L2 cache is the principal difference between the Celeron and P4.

    Harrison, Feb 15, 2004
  12. Jenn

    Harrison Guest

    That appears to be your fantasy, not my reality.
    I'm tired of you now.

    Harrison, Feb 15, 2004
  13. Jenn

    MP Guest

    OK ppl STOP..!!! Instead fight each other like kids give some direct
    information.

    So my final and only opinion about that is I concord with Harrison about L2,
    Ok the point is Celeron is for home office, Internet surfing etc.., also
    gaming PERFECT, P4 You need for Digital Processing and editing etc.... But
    If you are a GAMER person ABSOLUTELY GO FOR AMD It make for extreme gaming
    and CAD application or 3Dmax etc..

    P.S.
    Intel Celeron Prize = Cheapest
    AMD XP etc.. = Normal/Moderate Prize
    Intel P4 = Very Expensive
    AMD 64 = Don`t Even Think About It over Prized..

    Good Luck

    Marco

    MP, Feb 15, 2004