Ceap-ish, decent digital cameras

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Andrew Jones, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Andrew Jones

    Andrew Jones Guest

    At the moment I'm thinking of buying a digital camera. What I want is a
    decent one that can take good quality pictures at 1024x768 or more and
    has an LCD screen. It would be nice if it used standard media as well,
    such as SmartMedia or CompactFlash, and have at least 2x optical zoom.
    I'm really not worried about video recording. Just something to replace
    an APS camera.

    Are there any decent cameras with these features that are relatively
    cheap? I've got my eye on a Fuji FinePix 2650 on eBay that's at £31 and
    has a day to go. Does anyone know what this camera is like? I've read a
    few good reviews of it.

    Saying that, is it even advisable to buy one off eBay? Apparently the
    camera is new and in a factory sealed box.

    BTW, on film (not SLR!) cameras, the viewfinder is of course seperate
    for the actual lens - on a digi camera with an LCD screen, is the screen
    used as the viewfinder?

    Thanks very much in advance for any info!

    Andrew Jones, Jul 10, 2003

  2. At the moment I'm thinking of buying a digital camera. What I want is a
    So far so good. However, if you want to get decent prints from your digital
    images, you need at least a camera with a resolution of 1600x1200 (2
    megapixels). If you just want pictures for the web, lower resolutions will
    do the trick
    In the final minutes/seconds of the auction, camera price will increase to
    standard street prices or, in the strange world of eBay, even higher.
    As eBay does not sell cameras, look for a seller with a long and very good
    feedback. Read the negatives, there's the answer to your question.

    My final advice would be: don't look for the camera with the lowest price,
    or you'll get what you pay for.

    Cheers,

    -Jorge

    Jorge Alvarez, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Andrew Jones

    Andrew Jones Guest

    Thanks, I'm glad the screen can be used as a 'viewfinder' - I'd expect
    it to eat the batteries more quickly! I'll look out for a 6500.

    Andrew Jones, Jul 10, 2003
  4. Andrew Jones

    Andrew Jones Guest

    That's what I'll look for then...
    I know, I'm used to that happening and getting outbidd for things :)
    Will do.
    Thanks very much.

    Andrew Jones, Jul 10, 2003
  5. You might want to check out the cameras at:

    http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=CAM

    Computer geeks sells last years stuff after the manufacturer has upgraded it
    (or gone out of business). I didn't check the specs on the cameras.

    Michael Meissner, Jul 11, 2003
  6. Andrew Jones

    Andrew Jones Guest

    Looks nice. I'll keep an eye out for one!

    Andrew Jones, Jul 14, 2003
  7. Andrew Jones

    Andrew Jones Guest

    Thanks for your help everyone. I've got another question though...

    On Steve's Digicams, the sample pictures from the Fuji 2650 and 2600
    look brilliant. Much better that if I scanned in one from my film
    camera. So are they (and the Nikon, Olympus etc.) good enough to replace
    a film camera? The one thing that looks great is that the picture
    quality is fine right up to the edges of the photo - it looks 'flat' -
    there is no darkening at the edges at all.

    AFAIK some companies can print digi photos like film ones if you email
    the photos to them.

    Andrew Jones, Jul 14, 2003
  8. Andrew Jones

    Basiltoo Guest

    I don't think that you will go wrong with the 2600/2650 (2600 preferred!!)
    but you may find the features a bit limiting after a while... things like
    shutter speeds no more than half a second... Still it's an excellent
    little camera for the price and very easy to use. Macros are superb and
    much easier to shoot than with higher featured and more expensive prosumer
    cams. The flash squelches right down for almost the closest macro shots
    which you don't ofter find. If you get it for that price it's a gift.

    Basiltoo, Jul 14, 2003
  9. Andrew Jones

    Basiltoo Guest

    Check out www.bonusprint.co.uk. Very competitive pricing without penalty
    on small orders.

    Basiltoo, Jul 14, 2003
  10. Andrew Jones

    Andrew Jones Guest

    Yep, they're who I get my photos developed by at the moment...

    Andrew Jones, Jul 14, 2003
  11. Andrew Jones

    Andrew Jones Guest

    I suppose it would be nice to have more manual things... but I've never
    had them, so hopefully I wouldn't miss them!
    £31 is a bit optimistic, I know, but hopefully I could get one for less
    than £80-90.

    Andrew Jones, Jul 14, 2003
  12. Andrew Jones

    Anita Guest

    This is one of the UK sites where you get free photo album space and
    can order prints: http://www.byphotos.com/index.html.

    If you register now (free) you get a credit for 30 free prints, so it
    gives you a chance to try them and only risk wasting £1.50 p&p if
    they're no good!

    Anita, Jul 14, 2003