    TIA for your time and attention

    Note: If this is not the right Group for this query please tell me
    group to which I should subscribe and post this question.

    Ardent, Dec 19, 2003

  2. Ardent

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    The problem has nothing to do with the version. You have two copies of
    nero that are each tied to the drive they were shipped with.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    website: under construction

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 19, 2003

  3. Ardent

    Thor Guest

    No Demon, I disagree. In my experience, drive manufacturers have never
    shipped versions of Nero that are tied to their specific make/model of
    drive. I'm certain the problem is that the version he's using isn't new
    enough to support the newer drive's operating parameters. I've seen it and
    dealt with it many times. Practically every update of a Nero version
    includes support for a list of new drives. You just have to update to the
    newer version to make it work.

    Thor, Dec 19, 2003
  4. Ardent

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    I wouldn't say never Thor. My three burners all have bundled copies of
    Nero tied to the particular burner, but only for installation. They
    are two Liteon, and one MSI.

    I have never had the problem the OP has had though. Generally I have
    found that once the software has been installed the drive has been able
    to be swapped without the software suddenly stopping working. It may
    not give the full range of features, but still works.

    Oldus Fartus, Dec 19, 2003
  5. Ardent

    Livewire Guest

    Oh yes they have. I have seen it very often with Nero. However when you
    try to use it with the wrong drive it makes it very clear why it won't
    work.

    Livewire, Dec 19, 2003
  6. Ardent

    Thor Guest

    Well, I have about 8 different Nero bundled discs from over the last few
    years from version 4xx up through 6xx, and none of them were tied to
    specific drive makes they were shipped with. Never seen one that was. If
    some are that way, it's a pretty absurd idea, because if you already have a
    burner, and you want to simply add another (or a DVD burner), it would work
    with one burner, and not the other. Why the hell would Ahead software allow
    their product to be so crippled? In any case, you could just simply download
    the latest update from Nero, and it should work, because the updates
    overwrite the previous program version anyway.

    Thor, Dec 19, 2003
  7. Ardent

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Very strange that you haven't come across it Thor with your experience.

    Strangely enough, your comment about adding a second burner does not
    seem to bother the tied versions I have seen - it is only when
    installing initially that there is ever a problem. Once installed you
    can swap and change the drives without any problems.

    It actually makes sense for Ahead, or any other burning program supplier
    to do it that way. Presumedly the manufacturer of the burner pays for
    the OEM software and this is passed on to the buyer. I guess it means
    Ahead or other supplier gets to move more product.

    Oldus Fartus, Dec 19, 2003
  8. Ardent

    OliviaJaq Guest

    Once installed you
    After installation,I had swapped out my Creative drive with a Sony and could
    not utilize Nero with the new drive. Like someone else had mentioned, It was
    clearly stated, saying it would only work with a creative drive. I never
    bothered trying to work it out, but i believe if you swap the drives and then
    do the update it should be alright. If not, other than just breaking down and
    buying Nero, ask a "program enhancer". I'm sure there is a quick patch to
    eliminate that.

    OliviaJaq, Dec 19, 2003
  9. Ardent

    Night_Seer Guest

    Yes my all the Lite-On Nero versions I've ever used are directly tied to
    the drive it came with, and will not function with any other.

    Night_Seer, Dec 19, 2003
  10. Ardent

    Trent© Guest

    I've run across it many times.
    Its only tied in the installation.
    But the 'previous' program isn't INSTALLED! That's where the
    crippling comes into play...in the installation.

    Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

    Trent

    Trent©, Dec 19, 2003
  11. Ardent

    Trent© Guest

    Simply go to the Nero site and get the latest drivers. That older
    version of Nero can't see your newer burner.

    Trent©, Dec 19, 2003
  12. Ardent

    Trent© Guest

    That's not his problem, Jim. The crippling comes into play only in

    Trent©, Dec 19, 2003
  13. Ardent

    Thor Guest

    Well I've not bought any Lite-on drives since 97 or so, and they weren't
    burners, so I can't speak for those, or creative, because I don't use those
    either. The most recent ones I have were included with an Artec drive (Nero
    5595), and with a BenQ DVDRW drive, (NeroVision Express) and I've installed
    those on a secondary system with my Yamaha burner not long ago, and neither
    gave me any problems. I guess it just depends on the brand you buy.

    Thor, Dec 19, 2003
  14. Ardent

    Night_Seer Guest

    Yeah...and it seems it is only tied to installation, which I didn't
    know.

    Night_Seer, Dec 19, 2003
  15. Ardent

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Thor wrote:

    You could be right there Thor. My last burners have been 2 Liteons,
    and one MSI and the Nero CDs for all of them are marked "The software
    will only work with the drive it came bundled with".

    Oldus Fartus, Dec 19, 2003
  16. Have you actually tried them with other drives, or are you relying on
    what the CD says? I'm wondering if the problem might be OS-related.
    Can't remember what product it was now, but I had one that recognized
    multiple burners on WinXP but not on Win98-the difference turned out to
    be WinXP's built-in support for CD burners. Under Win98 the program used
    its own support which was limited. Under WinXP it worked with any burner
    supported by the OS. (I did notice that you were using XP-that's why I
    started out by asking whether or not you've actually tried this. I'm
    speculating that the CD advice might be for Win9x/2000.)

    Calvin Crumrine, Dec 19, 2003
  17. Ardent

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    I've bought 5 liteon burners and 3 "generic" no name burners in the past
    year for various reasons and people, and all of them came with a version of
    nero that could only use the model it was shipped with. I couldn't even
    use the version of Nero that came with the 52x LiteOn drives with the 48x
    models.

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 19, 2003
  18. Ardent

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    I've installed Nero from an OEM disc like that, it installs fine, but when
    you attempt to burn anything the only option you have is to burn an image
    file, as in, just write an ISO to your hard drive.

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 19, 2003
  19. This wasn't Nero-it was a backup program. Problem is, I don't remember
    which one but on WinXP it would use any CD burner I had while on Win98
    it would only use a few of them.

    Calvin Crumrine, Dec 19, 2003
  20. Ardent

    Trent© Guest

    Its because of the age of the drivers, of course.

    Trent©, Dec 20, 2003