    Some say Invalid MS-DOS function.

    Please tell me about transferring files from one system to another via
    CDs.

    mailbox24, Apr 1, 2005

  2. mailbox24

    Evan Platt Guest

    I think there's a link here that's posted every so often about asking
    GOOD questions that include details - like how was the original CD
    burned, what media, what O/S are you trying to copy to, etc.

    Evan Platt, Apr 1, 2005

  3. mailbox24

    mailbox24 Guest

    I burned a Memorex CD-RW on my Me system. All the files look good on
    the CD. Now I am trying to copy them to my XP system. Many transfer
    just fine. Some do not.

    mailbox24, Apr 1, 2005
  4. mailbox24

    Keme Guest

    Some pitfalls to avoid:
    Path too long...
    This should not be a problem in Windows, but still it seems to be
    sometimes. When the full path length on the CD (from the drive letter
    through folder levels and including the file name) approaches 120
    characters, I have experienced problems with several Windows versions
    (-95, NT4, XP). This is not consistent though. Sometimes it works and
    sometimes not.
    * To remedy, try to limit the length of folder and file names, and don't
    nest them too deeply. If you no longer have access to the original
    source, try mounting a folder containing the inaccessible files to a new
    drive letter, and access the files through this "virtual drive".

    Illegal characters ...
    In my experience, Windows versions are quite inconsistent in the
    handling of "special characters". I.e. one special character encoded in,
    say, Windows NT4, might be a quite different character decoded in, say,
    Windows 2000. I've observed incompatibilities in the encoding scheme all
    the way from MSDOS. Specifically:
    MSDOS-6 to Win3.1
    Win3.1 to Win95
    Win95 to Win98 (!)
    Win98 to Win2000
    WinNT to WinXP
    All my installations have been basic Norwegian language versions,
    accepting default selections for encoding/decoding schemes (such as
    character set and keyboard).
    * To remedy, use only letters from the english alphabet, numbers and
    underscore in file and folder names. Avoid national characters, comma,
    hyphen, percent sign, etc. To be on the safe side, even avoid spaces.
    (use underscore for all delimiting characters).

    Multisession discs ...
    Did you burn all your files in one pass? Some CD players have trouble
    reading some multisession CDs. Particularly if ...
    - the same file or folder names are reused, in which case files should
    be overwritten and folders should be merged.
    - the CD is not "closed" (still open for a new burning session).

    The above is based on personal experience. Note that I haven't verified
    that these pitfalls were actually the reasons for my problems, but the
    indicated remedies did coincide with a problem solved.

    Keme, Apr 4, 2005
  5. mailbox24

    mailbox24 Guest

    This helps. Thank you.