CD, mainboard, BIOS, keyboard: can't we all get along?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Guest, Jul 17, 2003.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Home built system functions just fine with two hard drives both on ide 1
    until I try to add a TDK cdrw on ide 2 set to master. Tried three different
    cables, one of which is brand new, tried brand new TDK cdrw, error message:
    sec master drive- not ATAPI compatible.

    I thought maybe it was the ide slot on the mainboard went dead but when I
    moved the working ide cable with the two hard drives (master and slave) to
    it they were recognized by the bios and worked fine.

    I thought maybe it was the TDK cdr's but no, when I slaved each of them to
    the working ide hard drive master they were recognized by the bios and
    worked fine.

    Also, when I put the TDK cdr's on ide 1 the bios froze up and keyboard got
    really slow in reaction time when I tried to hit del key to go into the bios
    so I never even got to the error message.

    Could it be the power molex cables?

    Guest, Jul 17, 2003

  2. Guest

    Shep© Guest

    Double check the jumpers on the CD drive/s.
    Enter BIOS and under the standard section usually change from auto to
    user and press the enter key if you can and save on exit.
    also try here,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/cdsetup.html
    You may need updated IDE controller drivers.
    HTH :)

    Shep©, Jul 17, 2003