    Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    Ian

    Fenton Beasley, Mar 13, 2005

  2. Fenton Beasley

    Dave Lear Guest

    Can you give us a bit more about "all of a sudden", i.e. has the problem
    only become apparent after some change was made?

    My first suggestion for this, if you have added any hardware recently, is
    that your PSU may be rated too low, i.e. the current draw from the installed
    devices is too much for the PSU to supply and so some / all of the devices
    are being underpowered.

    For instance, have you recently installed a new GeForce / Radeon (the kind
    that need power supplies to the graphics card)?

    Dave Lear, Mar 13, 2005

  3. : "Fenton Beasley" wrote in message :
    : > All of a sudden my computer has stopped recognising the
    : > CD/DVDRW drive. The brief times it does appear in My
    : > Computer, it disappears again almost immediately. Sometimes
    : > the BIOS picks it up, sometimes it says, "Not Installed". I've looked
    : > at the IDE cable connections and they are fine. I've swapped the
    : > IDE lead for a brand new one, still the same problem.
    : >
    : > I have 2 Western Digital hard drives, one with the jumpers on
    : > Master, the other as Slave. The CD/DVDRW is set as Master. There
    : > is no other CD or DVD drive connected.
    :
    : Can you give us a bit more about "all of a sudden", i.e. has the problem
    : only become apparent after some change was made?
    :
    : My first suggestion for this, if you have added any hardware recently, is
    : that your PSU may be rated too low, i.e. the current draw from the installed
    : devices is too much for the PSU to supply and so some / all of the devices
    : are being underpowered.
    :
    : For instance, have you recently installed a new GeForce / Radeon (the kind
    : that need power supplies to the graphics card)?
    :

    Motherboard: MSI KT4V-L (ms 6712)
    BIOS: v1.C0
    PSU: 400W
    RAM: 1535mb
    Processor: Athlon XP2400
    Graphics card: ATI Radeon 9800PRO connected to power supply (installed ages ago without trouble)

    Nothing new has been installed. One minute it was there, the next it wasn't. I'm tempted to think it could be the connection on the
    Motherboard, but it's just a guess.

    Thanks for relpying.

    Ian

    Fenton Beasley, Mar 13, 2005
  4. Fenton Beasley

    Pennywise Guest

    |> All of a sudden my computer has stopped recognising the CD/DVDRW drive. The brief times it does appear in My Computer, it disappears
    |> again almost immediately. Sometimes the BIOS picks it up, sometimes it says, "Not Installed". I've looked at the IDE cable
    |> connections and they are fine. I've swapped the IDE lead for a brand new one, still the same problem.

    IDE / EIDE mother board chip going out, Only thing on that line?

    Sharing an IRQ?

    Pennywise, Mar 13, 2005
  5. Fenton Beasley

    LoneRanger Guest

    This info from the web fixed mine.

    Re: CD-ROM and DVD-RW - disappeared from Windows XP

    It's a registry problem seen this with both Nero & Roxio after
    updating Windows! You will need to locate 2 keys in the registry and delete
    them!

    Start Registry Editor - Go to Start-->Run, type the word, regedit

    Locate the UpperFilters & LowerFilters value under the following key
    in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro
    l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

    Before we start you will want to back up this entry! To do this
    highlight the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} Now go up to, File and
    select Export, enter any name you want any will do and save it where you can
    find it, desktop is th best for now!

    Now were going to delete 2 entrys within
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

    Highlight {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and look on the right
    for the entry, "UpperFilters", right click on it and select delete! Now do
    the same for LowerFilters!

    Now scan for New Hardware or Reboot!

    Remember that you should backup your registry or export what your
    changing, before editing it! Better safe than sorry!

    Post Edited On: Feb 14, 2005, 08:10 AM

    LoneRanger, Mar 15, 2005
  6. Thanks for taking the trouble to reply, but I think it's a hardware problem. It's looking increasingly like the motherboard
    connector. Sometimes the drive is there in My Computer and I an use it perfectly, sometimes it not. If it were a registry problem,
    I'm sure it would either be there or it wouldn't.

    Ian

[...]
    : : > Windows XP Pro service pack 2
    : >

    Fenton Beasley, Mar 15, 2005
  7. Further developments:

    It's back now, but when I started the PC, it was searching for the master and slave drives and took it's time finding the second
    master (DVD drive). Then it gave this message after 3 or 4 beeps, "Sec Master Drive - Atapi incompatible. Press F1 to resume"

    Ian

    : Thanks for taking the trouble to reply, but I think it's a hardware problem. It's looking increasingly like the motherboard
    : connector. Sometimes the drive is there in My Computer and I an use it perfectly, sometimes it not. If it were a registry problem,
    : I'm sure it would either be there or it wouldn't.
    :
    : Ian
    :
    :
[...]