CD Drive File List Not Refreshing

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pennywise, Feb 27, 2005.

  1. Pennywise

    Pennywise Guest

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 01:20:54 -0800, "FatBobRoundPants"

    |> I needed to check contents on several CD's. I put the first one in, and it
    |> read the contents okay. I took it out and put in another, and it did not
    |> change the file listing from the first CD.

    Have you tried hitting F5 to refresh the screen ?

    Pennywise, Feb 27, 2005

  2. I have a CD RW Drive = NEC NR-7900A (24x), in a DELL Optiplex GX240. Win XP
    Pro, SP2, P3 - 512MB RAM.

    I needed to check contents on several CD's. I put the first one in, and it
    read the contents okay. I took it out and put in another, and it did not
    change the file listing from the first CD. This happened over and over, each
    time keeping the file listing from the original CD. I closed Win Explorer
    and opened again a few times, but that did not help.

    It seems the only way to get the system to 'forget' the first CD file list
    was to reboot it. Buth then, it just keeps remembering the contents of
    whatever CD I first put in. I checked on another (newer) Dell machine, and
    it read the CD's fine. I tried several google searches, the Dell support
    site and the NEC site but came up empty. Any ideas?
    bOb

    FatBobRoundPants, Feb 27, 2005

  3. Pennywise

    why? Guest

    I has this happen on several Dell's at work , all about 5-6 years old. I
    was told it was the age of the lasers , replacing the CD drives cured
    the problems on 3 machines.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Feb 27, 2005
  4. Yes, was first thing I tried, thanks tho

    FatBobRoundPants, Feb 27, 2005
  5. lol - NOT what I wanted to hear.... but suspected... Thanks.

    FatBobRoundPants, Feb 27, 2005