CD Audio Disk Read Problem

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by smackedass, Oct 20, 2007.

  1. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    Hello again,

    Not only am I stumped as to the cause of this problem, but I'm also stumped
    as to how to frame a question to do a Google search...

    OS: Windows XP

    My client cannot listen to, or rip, songs from audio CDs.

    There are songs that are stored on the HD that can be listened to.

    Have tried Real Player and Windows Media Player. When you slip a disk into
    the drawer, the songs are initially "seen", but not fully recognized. With
    Real Player, the message that appears is something to the effect of "Please
    Insert an Audio Disk".

    Windows Media Player, the message is something to the effect of, "No
    supported file types are recognized."

    Again, the songs that are already stored to the HD are able to be listened
    to from either Real Player and/or Windows Media Player.

    I have tried different audio disks.

    I have tried a different CD drive.

    I have tried a different data cable.

    I have tried a different power cable (that connects to the CD drive).

    I have tried using the CD drive as a Master and as Cable Select.

    The CD is able to read a home-made data CD; it is also able to read, and
    install an application from, an installable application CD.

    What's different? I have recently done a full XP HE SP2 re-install on this
    computer, just shortly before the client became aware of the problem. I've
    also added another 1G of RAM.

    This just doesn't make any bloody sense.

    HAAAYLP!

    smackedass

    smackedass, Oct 20, 2007

  2. smackedass

    Zac Guest

    Sounds like a hardware problem to me, probably a setting. Did you check the
    device properties to make sure the "Enable digital CD audio for this CD-ROM
    device" box is checked? If it is already checked, try uninstalling the
    device, cleaning out the registry with a regcleaner utility, and
    reinstalling the device.

    Good luck.

    Zac

    Zac, Oct 21, 2007

  3. smackedass

    Mister Guest

    Mister, Oct 21, 2007
  4. smackedass

    Paul Guest

    Further to that, sound comes from a CD two ways.

    If you connect an audio cable from the back of the CDROM drive,
    to the CD audio header on the motherboard (or the sound card),
    that is an analog connection. The CD player uses its own digital
    to analog converter, to make the analog signal. The cable has
    left and right audio (stereo), and the motherboard or audio card
    has a four pin connector to pick up the signal from the CD drive.

    The alternate method of playing audio from a CD, is digital. The
    tracks are read as data, and stream across the IDE (or SATA) cable
    that connects the drive to the computer. The Device Manager property
    Zac mentions above, is what enables this "Digital Audio Extraction"
    or DAE. To make the song come out of the speakers, the digital samples
    only need to be sent to the digital to analog converter on the
    sound card.

    I'm not really sure, how the applications figure out what is going
    on. Like how a cd player application handles the two cases, or whether
    it has to do any extra work.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 21, 2007
  5. smackedass

    Mister Guest

    smackedass,

    Any luck with this?

    Mister, Oct 23, 2007
  6. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    I won't get to see my customer til Saturday. I must say, I don't have a
    great feeling about it; the link that you sent actually looks like the most
    likely solution, but it's one of those things that don't make any sense to
    just happen out of the blue. On the other hand, she does have 2 kids that
    are always on the computer, so anything could have gotten poked around with.

    Thanks to all who have responded, I will let you know of the outcome.

    sa

    smackedass, Oct 23, 2007