    I don't have any access to Cisco routers so I will be using a software
    simulator of some variety. And recommendations for decent simulators,
    books and / or bundles?

    blastingfonda, Apr 1, 2005

  2. blastingfonda

    Chris M Guest

    Nice one! Well done.
    RouterSim. Unfortunately I don't know how much a single copy costs because I
    work at a University that has a network licensed version - I just use theirs
    :)

    A CCNP I spoke to a while back recommended getting some old hardware to play
    with, from eBay or similar. I guess all you really need is one or two
    routers, and switches are dirt cheap.

    HTH.

    Chris M, Apr 1, 2005

  3. blastingfonda

    Neil Guest

    NO! get a couple of routers and a switch and play with the real thing.
    you can get some routers on ebay dirt cheap (2500 series for less than
    $100, catalyst 1900switch for about the same) and there is NOTHING that
    compares with actually setting it up.

    A billion years ago when the earth cooled and I got my CCNA I used Todd
    Lammle's book (Sybex) which was great. But I also had the chance to get
    my hands on a 2500, a 3640 (which was going out to a customer in 3 weeks
    so I had 2 weeks to play and one to config it for the client) plus a
    couple of CSU/DSUs. I learned more about the IOS and the different
    configs in one week with the hardware than I did 4 weeks prior just
    reading.

    just my 2¢

    Neil, Apr 1, 2005
  4. Just priced it out. A single copy costs $209, which isn't bad.
    Not a bad suggestion, but I guess I like the idea of a software
    simulator better than messing with old / potentially defective or bad
    equipment.

    blastingfonda, Apr 1, 2005
  5. Point taken, but how would telnetting into a decent simulator be any
    different than telnetting into the firmware on an actual router?
    Assuming the simulator supports all the configuration settings and
    commands, how would it behave any differently?

    blastingfonda, Apr 1, 2005
  6. blastingfonda

    Neil Guest

    call me tactile but I need to have it in my hands. To me a sim is like
    following a prebuilt script on a VPC system. Works great. just like real
    life. unless you stray from the script. What happens in the IOS when you
    have insufficinet RAM for an update, how do you swap expansion cards in a
    sim, what about screwing up the config? there are times IMHO when having
    the real thing is the best.

    Neil, Apr 1, 2005
  7. True... and I'm not hardware shy by any means. I'm just weary of
    ordering old junk on eBay and having stuff turn out to be faulty or
    whatever. And I love VPCs (the non-prebuilt script variety)... they're
    great for training and even better for production / development.

    blastingfonda, Apr 1, 2005
  8. blastingfonda

    Guest Guest

    You should take a look at the CNAP (Cisco network academy program), its run
    in colleges and training centres around the country im sure. Im doing it in
    the UK at the minute, its a little pricey (roughly £800 for CCNA), but if you
    do the course you will certainly know what your talking about.

    Im currently doing CCNP through the academy program and its working out
    pretty well for me. Im looking forward to the exam simulations actually :)

    Be warned, i think CCNA is 85% pass mark and also the exams are much tougher
    in my opinion!

    Mark.

    Guest, Apr 1, 2005