CCD And Resultant Aspect Ratio ? (relative to 4x6 printing) Quest., Please

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert11, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Really going around the circle with this, and although I posted a similar
    qustion some time back, I thought I would ask again.
    I feel certain that I am missing something.

    Have been trying to have printed out a lot of pictures in 4x6 size.
    I imagine that this is most likely the most common size for prints.
    I may be wrong, but my guess is that it is the most popular by a very large
    margain.

    So, why do camera mfg's provide a CCD with a resultant image size ratio
    of 1.33:1 as was pointed out in an answer to my old query ?

    Why not provide a 1.5:1 format/ratio which would be perfect for the 4x6 ?

    Using IrfanView, other than "severe cropping," or severly distorting the
    picture to 1.5:1 in either the X or Y dimension, there doesn't seem anything
    else one can do. Is there ?

    There seems to be a major "dis-connect" between camera mfg's and
    users with this.
    Am I missing something ? (I'm really new at this, so it's quite possible).

    a. are there any other programs that fill in, or extrapolate additional
    pixels,
    so you can change to a 1.5:1 ratio without any distortion ?
    Is there something in IrfanView that I've missed ?

    b. are there any camera settings (Nikon) that would alleviate the problem
    (different resolution, etc.) ?

    What do others do ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Jan 15, 2004

  2. Robert11

    Ed Ruf Guest

    You don't say which Nikon. Many of the Coolpix series have a 3:2
    setting. My 99 and 5700 do.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

    Ed Ruf, Jan 15, 2004

  3. So, why do camera mfg's provide a CCD with a resultant image size ratio
    ?

    The Nikon 990 and Nikon 5700 (at least) do provide this as a taking
    option.

    4:3 is better suited to viewing on a standard TV or computer monitor which
    also have a 4:3 aspect ratio.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 15, 2004
  4. Robert11

    Don Stauffer Guest

    While 4 x 6 might be most popular print size, it is far from only one.
    Most other print sizes do NOT have 3:2 ratio. Check 3.5 x 5, 5 x 7, 8 x
    10, also very common print sizes. Cropping was so common with print
    film that no one thought any thing of it. Why are digital users so
    reluctant to accept cropping?

    Don Stauffer, Jan 15, 2004
  5. ?? I paid for my five megapixels so I will use all of them ???

    Of course, you can only crop if you have enough detailed image information
    to allow cropping!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 15, 2004
  6. Robert11

    Jeremy Nixon Guest

    I composed the image when I shot it; I have no desire to crop it. Back in
    the film days I almost never had pictures printed by a retail lab because
    they always cropped them, even on 4x6 paper. I hate that.

    However, I have no objection to borders on my prints -- in fact, I prefer
    them, even when printing 3:2 pictures (my preferred shooting format) on
    4x6 paper, so there's no trouble there. I don't have a burning need for
    borderless prints.

    Jeremy Nixon, Jan 15, 2004
  7. There is no one standard for the aspect ratio of photographs. It is
    only the popularity of 35mm cameras and mini-labs that has provided
    this feeling that 4x6 prints are any sort of standard.

    Most large-format cameras are 4x5 format.

    Medium format camera range from various rectangles to square.

    35mm cameras are 4x6

    You get the idea. On top of that standard print sizes do not all have
    the same aspect ratio (4x6, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14...).

    You do what everyone in the history of photography has always done:
    either crop your image to fit the paper size, or have it printed
    full-frame and leave some white space.

    The Black Sheep, Jan 15, 2004
  8. Robert11

    Rafe B. Guest

    If this were important to you, maybe you should
    have checked it out before buying? This sort
    of information is readily available on line, from the
    camera manufacturers' web site or from any of
    several camera review sites.

    Nope. Crop or just live with it. So what's so
    magical about 4x6" prints, anyway? The 4:3
    ratio fits better on an 8x10" or letter-sized print.

    Nope. Digital is cool stuff but it can't create
    information out of the ether.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    Rafe B., Jan 16, 2004
  9. Robert11

    Mike Engles Guest

    Hello

    I would resize to 6 by whatever and then crop.

    Mike Engles

    Mike Engles, Jan 16, 2004
  10. Robert11

    The Pilot Guest

    ?

    As far as I was aware the aspect ratio for a CCD is 4:3.
    Just resize in photoshop, it will result in some cropping though.

    The Pilot, Jan 16, 2004