CatOs problem booting

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Martin Bilgrav, Dec 7, 2003.

  1. Hi

    I simply cant figure this out.

    I have recieved a RMA switch cat2948G
    when I powered it on, it popped into rommon mode.
    I told it to boot and did ip config etc
    reset and it reseted - np

    but when ever I powercycle the unit it comes back into rommon, with the
    following errors:

    Warning! bootarea of NVRAM corrupt -- zeroing it.

    Warning: monitor nvram area is corrupt ... using default values
    0:00.612231: Please set IPAddr variable
    0:00.612804: Please set Netmask variable
    0:00.613159: Please set Broadcast variable
    0:00.613523: No gateway has been specified
    0:00.614075: Please set TftpServer variable to do tftp downloads
    0:00.614622: Network is not configured
    WS-C2948G bootrom version 6.1(5), built on 2003.03.19 16:59:08
    H/W Revisions: Fin: 2 Head: 11 Board: 1
    Supervisor MAC addresses: 00:05:9a:ce:50:00 through 00:05:9a:ce:53:ff (1024
    addresses)
    Installed memory: 64 MB
    Testing LEDs.... done!
    rommon 1 >

    What am I missing ?
    Why is it doing this ?
    the bootflash image is 6.1.1

    And i have read and searched CCO, with no luck after tring almost everthing

    An other question that i read about on CCO in my search:
    The CV images, can they be used with run-images higher that the CV image ?
    fx can I use these two together :

    cat4000-k9.8-1-3.bin
    cat4000-cv.8-1-1.bin
    or must the run and CV image have the same build version ?

    Thanks for your input

    Regards
    Martin Bilgrav

    Martin Bilgrav, Dec 7, 2003

  2. Martin Bilgrav

    Chris Thomas Guest

    Sounds like a dead keep-alive battery. About your only option is to
    tell Cisco the RMA was bad and request another one.

    Chris Thomas, Dec 8, 2003

  3. Once you get the switch to boot up in the IOS firmware, do a show ver,
    and check the configuration register value. It should be set to 0x2102
    I think. If it not set to that value, reset the switch, and in rommon
    mode, type in confreg 0x2102, and boot up in the regular IOS image
    again. That should fix it, unless you really have a corrupt boot-up
    image, in which case, you might have to update your boot-up image
    file.

    Minhaz

    minhazsiddiqui, Dec 8, 2003

  4. This was one of the 1000 things I allready did try...

    Though I am a bit confused about the value.
    Some Doc on CCO say 0x10f is default, but other say 0x2102
    anyway tried both... 8)
    no luck

    Regards
    Martin

    Martin Bilgrav, Dec 8, 2003
  5. Dead cell you say ?
    Like a CMOS battery onboard the mobo of the unit ?

    Got any URLs for that for CCO ?

    Thx - Sure will look into this

    Greetings
    Martin

    Martin Bilgrav, Dec 8, 2003
  6. Hiya,

    I took the lit of and saw a 3V cell CR-2430 soldered to the PCB 8(
    I took a voltmeter and messeared only 0.5 volts DC on it, so it's dead for
    sure.

    I will kill the buckers who sent me this unit, and try to get it RMA....
    again

    Thx for the input !!
    Martin Bilgrav

    Martin Bilgrav, Dec 8, 2003
  7. Martin Bilgrav

    mikester Guest

    Try this link, it has some information on recovering from a CATOS
    based switch from boot problems. IT does say 0x2102 for the
    configregister of the switch and I checked my 6500 and that is what it
    was.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps663/products_tech_note09186a00800949c3.shtml

    Good luck,

    the Mikester

    mikester, Dec 8, 2003
  8. Martin Bilgrav

    Chris Thomas Guest

    Unfortunately, the 2948s and 2980s are an older product. The RMA
    stock is also aging. I RMAd a 2980 last month and got one that was a
    couple of years old. The NVRAM batteries last a long time when the
    unit is powered, but when they're sitting on the shelf and not
    powered, the battery eventually dies. I have to power a bunch of
    2980s off over the New Year holiday, and I'm betting some of them
    won't come back due to dead batteries.

    /Chris Thomas, UCLA

    Chris Thomas, Dec 9, 2003