    I've worked on an old cat4006 running catos5.5 and I found it kind of
    limited with regards to access-list functionality.

    anyone? Thanks,

    NNTP, Apr 30, 2004

  2. NNTP

    mh Guest

    I believe it ony runs IOS ( 12.2(17a)SXA )

    mh, Apr 30, 2004

  3. NNTP

    rowl Guest

    The switch could boot in CatOS, with only MSFC running IOS, if I
    remember - this is hybrid mode..
    I dunno about the latest supervisor module..

    Rgrds
    Rahul Sawarkar

    rowl, Apr 30, 2004
  4. NNTP

    Chris Thomas Guest

    When the 720 was first released, the CatOS level necessary wasn't
    ready, so only IOS was available. It can now run either. The two
    are fairly close now in feature parity, but there are still a couple
    of things that are supported in only one or the other. Some months
    ago, the 6500 project manager told us that they'd reached the point
    of shipping more 6500s with IOS than with CatOS. IOS is clearly the
    future direction.

    If you have CatOS on other switches and you're familiar with it, it's
    still a reasonable option. If you know IOS, or are agnostic, order
    the new 720 with IOS installed. It makes the converison pretty
    painless. The MSFC part of your CatOS config transfers as is, and
    all you have to do is convert the port definitions. That was what I
    did. Note the definitions are completely contained on the Sup, so
    you can convert a 6500 between a Sup II with CatOS and a Sup720 with
    IOS just by swapping Sups. That allows one to work on the IOS
    conversion, and then pop the Sup II back in at the end of test time.

    /Chris

    Chris Thomas, Apr 30, 2004