    Does anyone know if the resistance/100M quoted for CAT5e solid cable is
    per conductor or per pair or for the cable as a whole? I suspect it's
    per conductor but can't find a definite statement on the web.

    Clint Sharp, Jan 4, 2009

  2. Clint Sharp

    Conor Guest

    The only figure that matters is the per conductor figure.

    Conor, Jan 4, 2009

  3. Clint Sharp

    James R Guest

    It is a shame you didn't answer the question that was asked!
    Read it again.

    James R, Jan 4, 2009
  4. Clint Sharp

    Quagmire Guest

    ? 0.188 Ohm per Metre...

    Quagmire, Jan 5, 2009
  5. Clint Sharp

    Rob Morley Guest

    It doesn't make sense to be anything other than per conductor - why
    try to complicate it?
    :)

    Rob Morley, Jan 5, 2009
  6. Clint Sharp

    Clint Sharp Guest

    Yeah, per conductor, depending on who makes it, it goes as low as 0.09
    ohm per meter but per pair or for all four pairs? I assume per conductor
    but...

    Clint Sharp, Jan 5, 2009
  7. Clint Sharp

    Quagmire Guest

    PER CONDUCTOR.... each wire, however you like to phrase it ! lol

    And it should read as EQUAL TO OR LESS THAN - for some reason my mailer
    cocked up that symbol, sorry.

    Quagmire, Jan 5, 2009
  8. Clint Sharp

    Rob Morley Guest

    I guess OE tries to be clever and produce a "less than or equal to"
    symbol that only Windows understands, rather than just leaving it as
    <=

    Rob Morley, Jan 5, 2009
  9. Clint Sharp

    Clint Sharp Guest

    No, you're almost definitely right and it does make sense, it's just the
    little voice nagging me that it might not be quite right.

    It's probably not too important for the application either as there
    will be 3 pairs that I can use but calculating the worst case gives me
    unacceptable losses that may mean having to pull additional cables via a
    very difficult route. Note, it's not going to be used for Ethernet.

    Clint Sharp, Jan 5, 2009
  10. Clint Sharp

    Rob Morley Guest

    If the cable's already in place would it not be easier just to stick a
    meter on it?

    Rob Morley, Jan 6, 2009
  11. Clint Sharp

    Clint Sharp Guest

    Test leads not long enough lol, I'll short a pair out later tomorrow and
    measure it. Won't have access to it until tomorrow hence asking.

    Clint Sharp, Jan 6, 2009