    interference.

    We have a telephone pole about half way between the buildings, can anyone
    suggest any cat5e cable that could run to it and how to attach it?

    MarkR, Feb 25, 2004

  2. Running cable outside is not a very good idea if you ask me.
    There can be alot more interferance and if there happens to be a lightening
    strike nearby the current it can induce in the cable could fry the network.

    Am i right?

    Mark

    Mark Shrimpton, Feb 25, 2004

  3. MarkR

    Lurch Guest

    Cable is weatherproof, to an extent.
    Use UV protected cable, it's less prone to fading and deteriorating
    over the years.
    Could do, everything helps.
    Just follow the usual precautions of not running it near high voltage
    cables.
    A catenary wire is what I would use, and a couple of turnbuckles to
    tension it. You'll want to earth the catenary and also for extra
    protection use lightning\surge arrest units at each end.

    SJW
    A.C.S. Ltd.

    Lurch, Feb 25, 2004
  4. MarkR

    Dave Stanton Guest

    As well as the phone, tv, video recorder, sky box ( not a bad thing) and
    any other electronic items !!. So why single out a network ?

    Dave

    Dave Stanton, Feb 25, 2004
  5. MarkR

    Grant Guest

    | Guys n Gals,
    | I have to run a cat5e cable about 80 metres between two buildings. What
    | should I do about wetaher proffing? Can i buy protected cable? Could I put
    | in a hose pipe or something? I also want to help cut down possible
    | interference.
    |
    | We have a telephone pole about half way between the buildings, can anyone
    | suggest any cat5e cable that could run to it and how to attach it?

    You're getting dangerously close to the 100 metre limit for Cat5E Ethernet.
    How much more cable is required at each end, over and above the 80m between
    the two buildings?

    Grant, Feb 25, 2004
  6. MarkR

    Clint Sharp Guest

    Oh yeah. Definitely. I have a site that uses this kind of arrangement,
    they regularly fry motherboards.

    Clint Sharp, Feb 25, 2004
  7. MarkR

    MarkR Guest

    No more direct cablke, they will be connected to a powered switch. If
    someone can suggest an alternative method of getting 100mb from one building
    to another where line of siht is impossible, then please let me know.

    MarkR, Feb 26, 2004
  8. Optical fiber cable !

    /Mats

    Mats Karlsson, Feb 27, 2004
  9. MarkR

    Lurch Guest

    Would that be fibre optic cable then? We have a client with multiple
    buildings in a heavy manufacturing industry. There is a mixture of
    gigabit fibre and 100Mbps cat5e links, along with voice links. There
    is no more frying of computer equipment than anything else in a storm,
    most cables are terminated with surge adapters. Although the insurance
    assessor (sp?) wasn't overly impressed with either. Fibre is safer but
    pricey.

    SJW
    A.C.S. Ltd.

    Lurch, Feb 27, 2004
  10. MarkR

    Rob Morley Guest

    optical fibre?

    Rob Morley, Feb 27, 2004
  11. MarkR

    MarkR Guest

    The site in question is a scrap yard. It requires that cable be run from a
    remote hut along a railing that is on a riverbank, up a partly demolished
    railway arch to a either a telepgraph pole in the middle of the yard, or
    along the edge of the other perimeter fance (metal) until it reaches the
    main office.

    If I said that 80 metres was the total length, how much would fibreoptic
    cost, what would i need to put on each end etc to connect it to my existing
    100mg cat5e network, and how would i protect the fibre optic cable itself
    from the elements?

    MarkR, Feb 27, 2004
  12. MarkR

    Lurch Guest

    With regard to costing, it all depends where you are. For termination
    you would need a switch at each end with a fibre gigabit port. About
    £8-900 should do it, +vat, each for 16 port switches. Or 2 media
    converters, at about £50 each +vat.
    If it's in arduous conditions, which it sounds like it is, I would run
    it through some sort of tube round the perimeter. Maybe 1/2" black
    water pipe? For the overhead if you wanted to provide additional
    protection you could use flexible conduit.

    SJW
    A.C.S. Ltd.

    Lurch, Feb 27, 2004
  13. Take a look at ebay (www.ebay.co.uk) for used equipment. You can find 10Mbit
    equipment if it's sufficient for your usage.

    /Mats

    Mats Karlsson, Feb 27, 2004
  14. MarkR

    Lurch Guest

    Bear in mind that the 10Mbps stuff is for the cat5 cabling though.

    SJW
    A.C.S. Ltd.

    Lurch, Feb 27, 2004

  15. Sorry I meant optical equipment not Twisted Pair (ex. cat5e).

    And to be correct, there is :
    10BaseT and 100BaseT = For twisted pair cable
    10BaseF and 100BaseF = For fiber cable

    You can use 10Mbps or 100Mbps and even 1000Mbps on cat5e!

    /Mats

    Mats Karlsson, Feb 27, 2004
  16. MarkR

    Lurch Guest

    Yep, most of the cat5e cabling we install tests out at over gigabit
    specs.

    SJW
    A.C.S. Ltd.

    Lurch, Feb 27, 2004
  17. MarkR

    Clint Sharp Guest

    What are you qualifying it with? I.E. What equipment. I currently have a
    problem with teamed gigabit adapters dropping links and the team
    breaking as a result and would like to verify the cabling that was
    installed and certified by a 3rd party. This happens on several machines
    in a Citrix farm with no apparent pattern, it doesn't seem to follow any
    one part of the network.

    Clint Sharp, Feb 27, 2004
  18. MarkR

    w_tom Guest

    There is no more problem connecting two buildings together
    as their is connecting every building in town to a Central
    Office telephone switching station. In your case and their's,
    there is one simple rule to avoid transient damage. All wires
    entering or leaving each building must be earthed at the
    service entrance. For example, AC electric has an earth
    ground rod. The connection from incoming ethernet wire to
    that earth ground must also exist, be less than 3 meters, and
    requires a protector to make that connection. Each Cat5 wire
    must make a connection to earth.

    Many have seen surge protectors fail because surge
    protectors are not protection. Protection is that earth
    ground. Any wire entering the building first makes a direct
    connection to a single point earth ground or makes that less
    than 3 meter connection via a surge protector. No earth
    ground means no protection no matter how expensive that
    protector may be.

    Some examples of RJ45 type protectors:
    http://www.keison.co.uk/furse/furse19.htm
    http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=151

    http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=153#spec
    http://www.keison.co.uk/furse/furse08.htm
    http://www.keison.co.uk/furse/furse07.htm

    From the perspective of electronics in this building, that
    other building is a lightning rod. If this building does not
    connect the incoming wire to earth ground, then a transient
    from the other building will use NIC or powered hub as a path
    to earth ground. Ineffective protectors (which are widespread
    and so often don't provide effective protection) avoid all
    discussion about earthing. They are selling a protector for a
    type of transient that really does not exist. The destructive
    transient simply wants earth ground. Earth that incoming
    transient, less than 3 meters to earth before entering the
    building and transient will not destructively use transistors.

    This concept has been industry standard for generations -
    even before WWII. It is why your telco does not replace a
    £million computer every year. Idea is to earth transient far
    before computer and with a minimum earthing wire to single
    point ground. So effective that BT can connection to every
    building in town and not suffer computer damage.

    Again, a protector without a 'less than 3 meter' connection
    to earth does not even claim to provide protection - read
    their spec sheets. A surge protector is only as effective as
    its earth ground - which is how you find effective solutions.
    String the Cat5 wire, connect to single point grounding at
    both ends (via protectors), and don't worry about expensive
    fiber solutions. Fiber did not exist 30 years ago and yet
    damage was routinely avoided. Many now advocate fiber because
    they did not even learn about effective protection - a well
    proven technology with decades of demonstrated effectiveness -
    which is why BT need not disconnect service during
    thunderstorms.

    Background information:
    http://tinyurl.com/2hl53
    http://tinyurl.com/l3m9
    http://tinyurl.com/p1rk
    Details on earthing:
    http://tinyurl.com/ghgv and http://tinyurl.com/ghgm

    w_tom, Feb 27, 2004
  19. MarkR

    MarkR Guest

    thanks to all that has been a real help.

    MarkR, Feb 27, 2004
  20. MarkR

    Lurch Guest

    We use a network analyser, various ones are available from the likes
    of Fluke and Wavetek and others. e.g.
    http://www.wadsworth.co.uk/catalogue/5002689/21122/index.html
    http://www.flukenetworks.com/uk/Cabling/Copper+Cabling/DSP-4000+Series/Overview.htm

    SJW