Cat5 mystery

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by =?iso-8859-1?q?C=2E_Se=F1or?=, Apr 26, 2006.

  1. =?iso-8859-1?q?C=2E_Se=F1or?=

    nut Guest

    nut, Apr 28, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  2. =?iso-8859-1?q?C=2E_Se=F1or?=

    Rob Morley Guest

    Switch is short for "port-switching hub". The 'hub' bit describes the
    network topology, and 'port-switching' describes the way that it directs
    Rob Morley, Apr 29, 2006
    1. Advertisements

  3. =?iso-8859-1?q?C=2E_Se=F1or?=

    Rob Morley Guest

    It might be.
    Rob Morley, Apr 29, 2006
  4. =?iso-8859-1?q?C=2E_Se=F1or?=

    PeeGee Guest

    Though, logically, the "switch" provides point-to-point links (albeit
    forever changing with need) whereas the "hub" designation refers to a
    logical topology that matches the physical topology.

    PeeGee, Apr 29, 2006
  5. =?iso-8859-1?q?C=2E_Se=F1or?=

    Dave J. Guest

    To what extent are hubs really switches these days? I ask because I want
    to get myself a hub with a view to packet capture, but if it's actually a
    switch without a 'forward everywhere' option then it won't do what I want.

    Dave J.
    Dave J., Apr 29, 2006
  6. =?iso-8859-1?q?C=2E_Se=F1or?=

    Rob Morley Guest

    10BaseT stuff is probably a hub, 100BaseT much more likely to be a
    switch. You can actually sniff switches, but it's a lot more hassle
    than just listening to an unswitched hub.
    Rob Morley, Apr 30, 2006
  7. =?iso-8859-1?q?C=2E_Se=F1or?=

    Dave J. Guest

    Only way I know of is spoofed ARP replies so that broadcast MAC addresses
    are cached. Any hints you'd offer on other techniques?

    Dave J.
    Dave J., May 4, 2006
  8. =?iso-8859-1?q?C=2E_Se=F1or?=

    Rob Morley Guest

    ARP poisoning is the only way I know. Ettercap is supposed to be good
    but I've never tried it.
    Rob Morley, May 5, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.