    faster, I would prefer pulling the CAT5 through it, but it's a 250 foot run.

    Thanks,
    --tRuth

    tRuthvalue, Nov 7, 2005

  2. tRuthvalue

    Ron Martell Guest

    Maximum run length for Cat5 is 100 metres (better than 300 feet).
    Beyond that distance the signal will degrade.

    I have had problems with wireless signal strengths at 50 feet with 2
    intervening walls, where one of the walls was formerly an exterior
    wall and had insulation (type unknown) in it.

    If you want to pursue the wiress option I would plan on using an
    outdoor high gain antenna on one building and possibly both.

    I use a laptop to check signal strengths at various distances when
    planning wireless installtions. That way I can walk from room to
    room, or even outside and check on connectivity.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron Martell, Nov 7, 2005

  3. tRuthvalue

    Ish Taylor Guest

    The cable, from the computer's Ethernet adapter, is lead along its path of
    no more than 90 meters, through a wall jack etc.
    http://www.sfusd.edu/resources/netguide.html#Basics
    A bit dated, but very detailed. Last Updated: 9/11/97.

    Ish Taylor, Nov 7, 2005
  4. I've crimped on plugs on both ends of a 1,000 foot roll of cat5 cable
    and connected through this. I was probably limited to about 10Mbs, but
    it was working just fine. I've also have had links of WiFi equipment up
    and running for 3 years at over 2 miles. This isn't the normal Office
    Depot junk, but stuff built for long distances but still within the same
    parameters as the consumer stuff. For every question, there's more than
    one answer.

    A 250 run of cat5 wouldn't worry me at all.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 7, 2005
  5. tRuthvalue

    Dan Evans Guest

    Reliably at T100, 100 metres You can go longer but expect to see packet loss
    on a busy run (the length is determined by the collision detection the
    protocol uses), and a drop in speed. Don't try to connect two different
    buildings, or you'll have problems with potential difference. This *can*
    occur in the same building if there is more than one feed from the electric
    company - I saw this once where three offices had been joined and kept
    individual meters.
    Too many factors to consider. How thick are the walls, what are they made
    of, what type of construction was used, whats the gap between the rebar etc.
    I'd go for the most powerful kit you can afford, and check with a portable.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 7, 2005
  6. tRuthvalue

    Barry OGrady Guest

    Feet as a measurement went out a long time ago. You need to talk in metres
    to be understood by other than old timers.
    He means metres of course.
    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

    Barry OGrady, Nov 7, 2005
  7. tRuthvalue

    Sarah Guest

    Thanks for clarifying that. The rest of us would never have figured it out.

    Sarah, Nov 7, 2005
  8. tRuthvalue

    Buffalo Guest

    The US spelling is meter, so I guess it all depends on where he is.

    Buffalo, Nov 7, 2005
  9. tRuthvalue

    tRuthvalue Guest

    Thanks Dan,

    You've helped us decide to go with CAT5.

    --tRuth

    tRuthvalue, Nov 7, 2005
  10. tRuthvalue

    tRuthvalue Guest

    Thanks Roger,

    Clearly, CAT5 is what we want for this application. Also, I see you too
    don't have any particualr problem multiplying or dividing by 3! :)

    --tRuth

    tRuthvalue, Nov 7, 2005
  11. tRuthvalue

    Dan Evans Guest

    NP, but watch for potential difference and make sure both buildings are
    grounded to the same point.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 8, 2005
  12. tRuthvalue

    why? Guest

    For 2 buildings, you want fiber it's a lot safer , better protection
    from lighting , no problems with potential differences between the
    buildings.
    Me

    why?, Nov 8, 2005
  13. tRuthvalue

    Miggsee Guest

    Hi Ron! :)
    Would using CAT6 improve the signal's distance?

    Miggsee, Nov 8, 2005
  14. tRuthvalue

    Dan Evans Guest

    Nope.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 8, 2005
  15. tRuthvalue

    why? Guest

    No, oddly enough at work the Cat5/5e runs often went to the max 99m or
    130m + patching.

    The new building is all Cat 6 and max is 90m without patching. That
    (90m) only matter it appears if we ever get Gb to the desktop.

    Me

    why?, Nov 8, 2005
  16. tRuthvalue

    Miggsee Guest

    Thanks, guys! :)

    Miggsee, Nov 8, 2005
  17. tRuthvalue

    Paul Guest

    How would one use Fiber ? Is there a partucular device on each end ?

    Paul, Nov 10, 2005
  18. tRuthvalue

    why? Guest

    why?, Nov 10, 2005