cat 6509 monitoring to fluke

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by hans m41, Sep 2, 2005.

  1. hans m41

    hans m41 Guest

    the environment is cisco 6509 with ios 12.1(26)E3
    and "16 port 1000mb GBIC ethernet modules WS-X6416-GBIC" sw 8.5(0.9)TFW1
    and a fluke optiview sniffer/monitor.

    the fluke has a gui running on windows systems too.
    i have conneted fluke to Gi6/7. if i configure

    monitor session 2 source vlan 1
    monitor session 2 destination interface Gi6/7

    i loose the connection from the gui to the fluke

    is there a way to setup a monitor port which
    transport normal traffic too ?

    this is the config of the if:

    interface GigabitEthernet6/7
    description fluke
    switchport
    switchport mode access
    no cdp enable
    spanning-tree portfast

    best regards
    hans

    hans m41, Sep 2, 2005

  2. hans m41

    Peter Guest

    Hi Hans,
    This may not help but I had a similar scenario I needed to resolve
    about 2-3 years ago. You don't say which model of Fluke you are using,
    however the Segment I was monitoring with our Fluke Optiview (which is
    based on an IBM Thinkpad) was outside a Firewall and was untrusted and
    I needed to access the Fluke from the trusted network. Changes to the
    Firewall were not possible at that time. In my case I was able to get
    permission to plug in a PCMCIA Ethernet card into the Fluke/IBM PCMCIA
    slot and configure that as a remote access interface, but it does
    depend on which model Fluke you are using if this is an option. We
    also had an issue regarding the Routing, but we were able to work
    around that one too.

    Good luck..................................pk.

    Peter, Sep 3, 2005

  3. hans m41

    anybody43 Guest

    Hi,

    This may be version and platform dependant.

    On some platforms the normal port ingress traffic
    is blocked when a port is a monitoring destination.

    You probably need something like
    monitor session 2 destination interface Gi6/7 ingress vlan x

    Where x is the normal vlan that the port belongs to.

    The above assumes that destination the port is not a trunk port.

    Goog luck.

    anybody43, Sep 5, 2005
  4. hans m41

    hans m41 Guest

    hi peter

    in the meantime i asked my reseller, but this fluke
    does not give the possibility the have a dedicated admin-port.
    it's not the intention of fluke, there is an other
    series of devices, which can do this, even this
    optiview is not so cheap with a price a little
    bit less then 30000 euro. ( 1 eur ~ 1,2 usd )

    best regards
    hans

    hans m41, Sep 10, 2005
  5. hans m41

    hans m41 Guest

    hi
    thanks for answer, but
    my switch doesn't give me this option.

    ci1(config)#monitor session 2 destination interface Gi6/7 ?
    , Specify another range of interfaces
    - Specify a range of interfaces
    <cr>

    and here the if-definition:

    hans m41, Sep 10, 2005
  6. hans m41

    Peter Guest

    Hi Hans,

    Yes, the Fluke Optiview is not a cheap box. One other approach that is
    similar may be to use a PC with Dual NIC's and then run Ethereal to
    give pretty much the same type of solution. That just involves a
    little more work but I have found Ethereal to be quite useful,
    provided one has the H/W required available...........;-)

    Good luck....................pk.

    Peter, Sep 10, 2005
  7. hans m41

    hans m41 Guest

    Yes, the Fluke Optiview is not a cheap box. One other approach that is
    similar may be to use a PC with Dual NIC's and then run Ethereal to
    give pretty much the same type of solution. That just involves a
    little more work but I have found Ethereal to be quite useful,
    provided one has the H/W required available...........;-)

    Good luck....................pk.
    [/QUOTE]

    hi peter

    you are right. i use ethereal, too. in the solaris-world
    and in the windows-world. but this is only for packet analysing great.
    but monitoring over some hours or days the optiview is fine.
    for packet analysing i have a network analysing module ( nam )
    in the cisco 6509 too. ( even with monitoring abilities )

    best regards
    hans

    hans m41, Sep 13, 2005