Cat 6500 to Cat 6500 and VLANs

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Gary, Dec 1, 2005.

  1. Gary

    Gary Guest

    We have linked two Cat 6500/Sup720's together over the Gig port to replace 2
    backbone Cisco 3500 switches.

    I am new to the 6500 but on our 3500's we connect swicthes together and
    allow trunking as follows:
    interface FastEthernet0/1
    switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
    switchport mode trunk

    On the 3500's I place a port in a particular VLAN as follows:
    interface FastEthernet0/8
    switchport access vlan 207

    How do I do the same on the 6500's ?

    Also how would we connect the 6500's to our Cisco 3500 switch network?

    Thanks
    Gary

    Gary, Dec 1, 2005

  2. are you running CATOS ?
    you could upgrade to IOS - hence same commands

    Martin Bilgrav, Dec 1, 2005

  3. On 02.12.2005 00:01 Gary wrote
    Give the 10/100 module is in slot 1 in CatOS that will read

    set trunk 1/1 on dot1q
    !
    ! and
    !
    set vlan 207 1/8
    What exactly do you mean by that?

    What I would do. Put in the new 6509s (nice gear btw esp. if you are
    only switching and using CatOS), link the 3500s to them amd migrate your
    network to the new hardware one by one.

    Arnold

    Arnold Nipper, Dec 2, 2005