Cat 5e UTP Question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by SiD, Oct 6, 2005.

  1. SiD

    SiD Guest

    Hi quick question for the network pro`s
    Please correct me if i'm wrong

    Cable is already installed to network 2x computers at the moment.
    Cat 5e modules and data box's need installing on both ends.

    Do i set the cables for both ends as straight through T568A and use a
    cross patch cable at one end to the PC and a straight patch at the other
    to accomplish this.

    More computers are going to be added shortly so thats why i'm not using
    a long cross cable from PC to PC

    Thanks for any help
    SiD, Oct 6, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. SiD

    Mitch Guest

    Even better; if both are recent Ethernet controllers, you can probably
    just leave them as 568A straight through. Recent controllers can
    recognize and behave as crossover cables.
    Let's see, though -- I'm not sure what term you are looking for in the
    Mitch, Oct 6, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. SiD

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    If you're going to be adding more PCs you'll need a hub (or better, a
    switch) to network the 3+ PCs. Then you just connect each PC's network
    card to a wall RJ-45 port using a straight through cable. The wall
    outlets connect back to the switch using cat5e/6 in straight through

    Jimmy Dean, Oct 6, 2005
  4. SiD

    SiD Guest

    OK but will this way of mine work ? Cheers
    SiD, Oct 6, 2005
  5. SiD

    why? Guest

    What is a Cat 5e module?
    568A or 568B doesn't matter as long as you use a consistent choice all
    the way through the wiring (but not necessary). A patch cable is still a
    patch cable, the signal functions on the pins are the same only the
    color changes around for a few wires.
    It either a crossover or a patch cable (implies straight) , not a cross
    patch or straight patch.
    For 2 PCs, Yes.

    PC - patch - wall socket - straight wired - wall socket - crossover - PC
    In that case , get a switch / repeater (most autosense and cross the
    connection internally, some have a port with a push uplink button to
    make a crossover, others have a shared port [1 / 1 crossed] , 2 ,3 ,4 -
    you use port 1 or port 1 crossed then ports 2,3 4 as normal) , and use
    patch cables throughout. Makes it easier not having to remember 1 cable
    is a crossover, or trying to debug a fault and forgetting 1 cable is
    different from the others.

    So you would end up with ,

    3 PCs - switch - patch cable from uplink port - wall socket - straight
    wired - wall socket - PC
    why?, Oct 6, 2005
  6. SiD

    FML Guest

    Since you are planning to add more computers later, just go out and get
    an inexpensive switch. Then all you need is stright thru cables from
    each computer.
    FML, Oct 6, 2005
  7. SiD

    Dan Evans Guest

    I use different colour protectors for A than for B - multicoloured cable =


    Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access-=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
    Dan Evans, Oct 7, 2005
  8. SiD

    PC Guest


    It is convention to make in wall and permanent wiring straight through.
    Then when you expand your network you won't have any 'which cable is which'
    Use either A or B as long as both ends are the same (a crossover is A at one
    end B at the other)

    PC, Oct 7, 2005
  9. SiD

    SiD Guest

    Thanks for all the info guys - sorted it quite easily with the groups help.
    SiD, Oct 7, 2005
  10. SiD

    why? Guest

    Good idea. I never use xovers at home.

    For work where it can't be avoided and only standalone test equipment
    there the a big tag clipped to the cable - Do not connect to network.

    Some times some people pay attention :-(


    why?, Oct 7, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.