Cat 5 utp cable question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JOni, Jan 25, 2005.

  1. JOni

    JOni Guest

    I have 2 computers at home pc1 downstairs and pc2 upstairs.
    A friend installed the cable and placed a box with cat 5 modules next to
    each machine,
    so all i have to do is use a patch cable from the box to the pc.
    the cable has been setup for cross over - as only two machines are
    (568a downstairs at one end and 568b Upstairs at the other)

    If i want to move the computer upstairs into a different room, is it
    possible to just make a
    cable and plug it into the box upstairs and extend into the new room, or do
    i have to get a longer cable.

    Also if this is possible do i keep the standard downstairs for pc1 to 568a
    and change the one upstairs Pc2 to 568a
    and then for the extended bit change that to 568b standard - this to me
    seems like one long cross cable
    but i'm not sure and any help would be appreciated.


    JOni, Jan 25, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  2. JOni

    why? Guest

    This is an odd way to try and describe the problem.... 568a downstairs
    at one end and 568b Upstairs. You don't want to start getting into that.

    It's simple, the cable in the wall is straight through (a patch), the
    cable from 1 pc to the wall is a patch. The 2nd PC uses a crossover from
    the PC to the wall.
    You can do either -

    Plug a patch cable into the wall box and run it to another socket (which
    involves more crimping) then from the socket use a crossover to the PC.
    (not my fav way to do it, but it will work)


    Simply use a longer cable which will be a crossover.
    (sometimes you can't get long crossovers, if crimping an end on a long
    patch is trouble, it's possible to get F-F cross over adapters, not my
    first choice again).

    Depends on how far it is. The wall box to wall box is 100m with the
    cable to each PC about 5m max normally. Saying that the 100m is a max
    and I have seen cables from the wall to PC at 30m work fine and others
    at 10m cause issues.

    Going to skip the next bit it's too confusing......

    For the UK stick to 568B color scheme, forget about 568A ( although
    that's what 1 end turns out as when crossed). If you start to mix and
    match you will just get confused. It's only which color pair / pin on
    the connector difference the signal function to pin doesn't change.

    If you buy the cables from any supplier you only need a patch at one end
    and a crossover at the other.

    why?, Jan 25, 2005
    1. Advertisements

  3. JOni

    JOni Guest

    You are my hero - best hero - gonna try

    Plug a patch cable into the wall box and run it to another socket (which
    if that works.

    Sorry for the odd description but i`m new to the cable business so it will
    appear odd written in text.

    Thanks for ur interest in my matter.

    JiMi D
    JOni, Jan 25, 2005
  4. JOni

    PC Guest


    Would I be correct reading your friend has wired your upstairs/downstairs
    cable as a crossover?
    I also 'read' he has terminated each end to a standard wall outlet box and
    achieved the crossover by wiring one 568a & the other 568b. This is not the
    usual way of doing it, though there is nothing to stop you.
    If your friend has done it this way ask them to rewire it to 'straight
    through'. i.e. 568a at both ends or 568b at both ends whichever takes your
    Then you only have to worry about getting a crossover patch cable for one of
    the PC's. The other can use a 'straight' patch lead, which can be as long as
    the standard allows (I've used 30 metre one's and I think the're available
    even longer now)

    Just remember to connect 2 PC's you need One crossover in the chain of
    cables connecting them together. i.e. the transmit pair on one end has to
    end up connected to the receive pair at the other end and vice versa.
    (Transmit PC1 connects to Receive PC2 and Receive PC1 connects to Transmit

    The advantage of making interroom wiring straight through is that when you
    progress to a hub/switch based network you don't have problems
    uncrossovering your interroom wiring. (Yes you will progress, to a
    hub/switch based system especially once you look at broadband Internet)

    Hope this 'clears the waters'

    PC, Jan 26, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.