    port architecture is different, but, if we have Cat4ks+4232s in hsrp
    mode can we leave the chassis powered on while swapping so that all the
    switch modules can be active?

    Bill F, Nov 2, 2004

  2. :Is it possible to hot swap a SupIV for a 4232 in a Cat4k? I know the
    :port architecture is different, but, if we have Cat4ks+4232s in hsrp
    :mode can we leave the chassis powered on while swapping so that all the
    :switch modules can be active?

    I don't have a 4000 series, but some research I was doing on the
    series last week indicated that hot swapping of the supervisors is
    supported [or at least it is in a 4500 series; I wasn't looking
    for differences between the 4000 and 4500's.] The documentation indicated
    that when the supervisor is offline, no routing will take place
    and no forwarding will take place between interface cards.

    I don't have time to track down exact references, but see for example
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...allation_guide09186a00800ead68.html#wp1035802
    which indicates that the Access Gateway Module may be hot-swapped
    [but not any WIC's, VIC's, VWIC's or other line interfaces.]

    Walter Roberson, Nov 2, 2004

  3. Bill F

    Bill F Guest

    Yeah, I saw the doc about the AGM too. Thanks

    Bill F, Nov 2, 2004
  4. Hello, Bill!
    You wrote on Tue, 02 Nov 2004 20:22:34 GMT:

    BF> Is it possible to hot swap a SupIV for a 4232 in a Cat4k? I know
    BF> the port architecture is different, but, if we have Cat4ks+4232s
    BF> in hsrp mode can we leave the chassis powered on while swapping
    BF> so that all the switch modules can be active?

    AFAIK, modules in 4000/4500 is hot-swappable, but I don't think it's going to
    help. Since all switching is done by Supervisor as soon as you remove it no
    traffic is going to pass through.

    With best regards,
    Andrey.

    Andrey Tarasov, Nov 3, 2004
  5. :AFAIK, modules in 4000/4500 is hot-swappable, but I don't think it's going to
    :help. Since all switching is done by Supervisor as soon as you remove it no
    :traffic is going to pass through.

    The 4500 supports dCEF, so while the Supervisor is out, it should
    still be able to switch existing flows that are entirely within
    the same line card.

    Walter Roberson, Nov 3, 2004
  6. Hello, Walter!
    You wrote on 3 Nov 2004 03:28:01 GMT:

    WR> The 4500 supports dCEF, so while the Supervisor is out, it should
    WR> still be able to switch existing flows that are entirely within
    WR> the same line card.

    That's news to me. URL?

    With best regards,
    Andrey.