Casablanca 2-Disc SE vs. Platinum Snow White Sound

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by unclejr, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. unclejr

    unclejr Guest

    I just watched the new Casablanca SE DVD, and the sound is in DD 1.0.
    Granted, the film was produced in 1942 and was filmed in mono, but so
    was Disney's Snow White (produced 5 years earlier). However, the
    Platinum release of Snow White is DD 5.1 and sounds simply AMAZING.

    Since it is obviously possible to transcode a mono soundtrack to DD
    5.1 (after all, Disney did it!), was Warner Bros. simply cutting
    costs, or is there an inherent reason as to why the film was left mono
    for this DVD? At least with the Platinum Snow White release, you have
    the option of listening to the film in mono if you prefer to listen to
    that film the way it was originally screened in 1937.

    In Casablanca, I personally would want have wanted the back speakers
    active when the airplane flies overhead or with general background
    crowd noise in Rick's club during much of the dialog to give it a
    realistic feeling of actually being in the night club.

    Besides this relatively minor gripe, I thought that the film transfer
    was amazingly beautiful and a thorough pleasure to watch.

    BTW, Roger Ebert's commentary track was very enjoyable. He gave a lot
    of anecdotal information behind the making of the film that I didn't
    know before. ****1/2 out of *****.

    -Junior

    unclejr, Aug 12, 2003

  2. I find it interesting that people who complain bitterly about films
    not being released in the original aspect ratio are perfectly happy
    with tarted up "fake" soundtracks. Maybe they should put the colorized
    version on the disc, too. Casablanca was recorded and released in
    monoraul sound. That's how it should be experienced.

    John Harkness

    John Harkness, Aug 12, 2003

  3. And Snow White is a musical, Casablanca is not. I berlieve Snow White
    was recorded using the multiple-stem system, where different elements
    were recorded on different optical tracks. That would lend itself to
    stereo or surround sound mastering.

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Aug 12, 2003
  4. Exactly...

    Not that I don't mind 5.1 remixes on old films but put the original
    track there as well. And if it's one or the other, original sound format
    should be it.

    Unlike JAWS, who's totally transformed 5.1 soundtrack with different
    sound effects was the only choice available, the DVD is incomplete to me
    without an original soundtrack choice.

    Mike

    Michael Rogers, Aug 12, 2003
  5. unclejr

    unclejr Guest

    I would hardly call my comments about the sound of the new Casablanca
    DVD as "complain(ing) bitterly." However, YMMV, I suppose.

    -Junior

    unclejr, Aug 12, 2003
  6. unclejr

    Arkon24fps Guest

    How much better is the transfer compared to the first WB dvd issue?

    Arkon24fps, Aug 13, 2003
  7. You're personalizing, and you should get some reading skills. I didn't
    describe your comments on Casablanca's sound as "complaining
    bitterly"/

    John Harkness, Aug 13, 2003
  8. unclejr

    PeterTHX Guest

    Um, what DVD player do you have?
    My Sony can supply color to all 3 signals a the same time (component,
    S-Video, composite)
    ?

    PeterTHX, Aug 18, 2003